• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run... Is this one ok ????

would you recommend it then??? I have the 6ft double hutch made by same company which I got from the same seller!

Well I literally just bought one, like an hour ago so I guess it will be middle of next week before it arrives. I'll happily give you an opinion then if you like? :D

Like you I needed it to be fold upable & easy to shift, this seemed like a well thought out design & the guy responded to my questions quickly :)

I have 2 folding runs (without the sheltered bit) from the predecessor to that company. To be honest I found them pretty hopeless if they're being folded up and moved on a regular basis. They seemed brilliant when they arrived and overall they're not bad value for money but the wood is so soft that the hinges fell off within a few months. I suspect they're a bit better if they're not regularly being folded and moved but personally I would try and find one made of stronger, chunkier wood :)

I have 2 folding runs (without the sheltered bit) from the predecessor to that company. To be honest I found them pretty hopeless if they're being folded up and moved on a regular basis. They seemed brilliant when they arrived and overall they're not bad value for money but the wood is so soft that the hinges fell off within a few months. I suspect they're a bit better if they're not regularly being folded and moved but personally I would try and find one made of stronger, chunkier wood :)

Yes I thought that may be the case. I've already decided that mine will be covered with a waterproof sheet whenever possible to prolong it's life!:) Worst case at least my hubby will have a template to copy from when it's time for a new one :lol:

do you know of any other companies that do folding ones? Mine will be folded away everytime I use it so don't want hinges to go! I got a really good one last year for my guinea pigs but the seller is no-longer on ebay :( it is too small really for rabbits as not tall enough and a bit short on the length too (sadly I thought it was bigger til I got it out recently) ! if only i new what make it was as it seemed good solid wood!

The HH stuff I've had in the past has been a different type of wood to those other ones so I would think it would be a lot better.

Honestly, if you're going to fold it up every time you use it I wouldn't bother with those first ones - you should see the state of mine now! The wood just isn't strong enough to cope with the stress put on the hinges whenever you move it, IMO.

I think folding ones are weaker in any case but I do think the Happy Hutch one would last you much better. Don't know if anyone on here has a folding HH one?

Thanks for the advice, there does seem to be a general shortage in 6ft runs as it is but wanting a folding one is making it more difficult to find as not many companies do folding ones that big (maybe for good reason lol )

Do you think it's the hinges that are the problem or the wood or a combination of the two? Just thinking hinges are easily replaced.

No it's the wood, it's just not strong enough to hold the screws under tension when you move it. The wood on mine has eventually either split or the holes have worn so much that the screws literally just fell out. One half of the lid has come off one, and the end of the other has completely come apart.

Briony - it might be worth asking around for a local carpenter, you could probably get a really sturdy one built for not far off the same money :)

No it's the wood, it's just not strong enough to hold the screws under tension when you move it. The wood on mine has eventually either split or the holes have worn so much that the screws literally just fell out. One half of the lid has come off one, and the end of the other has completely come apart.

Oh dear! Best be extra gentle with mine then!

They're still cheaper than most others so all is not lost - I just wouldn't expect it to stay in good condition for very long! If you can move it as a 2-person job with one at either end I think it will last better, as at least there would be less twisting of the joins that way :)

They're still cheaper than most others so all is not lost - I just wouldn't expect it to stay in good condition for very long! If you can move it as a 2-person job with one at either end I think it will last better, as at least there would be less twisting of the joins that way :)

Sounds like a good idea. I shall have "my men" move it for me :lol::lol::lol:

not sure i know a local carpenter lol! will have to look around some more but thanks everyone for the advice! I wondered if I could make my own but wouldn't know where to start or what wood to use etc...

Gisela has two of the large ones she connects together to use as a run, I have some smaller ones for piggies and they have lasted really well.

Is it essential that it's foldable? Buns should really have 24/7 access to a secure run unless they are indoor buns with a large pen or free range.

Back