• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Earless rabbits

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
If a mommy bunny had over groomed her babies ears so they no longer had any ears it wouldn't make them deaf would it???

while we are on the topic, would there be a higher chance of ear infections ??

I would wonder if maybe mum might overgroom the ears if she felt there was something wrong with them and trying to fix it. So whilst she couldn't cause the deafness, potentially maybe it could highlight a potential problem?

There is an ad in our local paper tonight placed by a 17 yr old breeder of mini lops, lives just down the road apparently.

Anyway, she is advertising "free to good homes though donations welcome" 3 babies with no ears that will need to live indoors as they are all deaf as their ears were overgroomed by the Mom.

We have 2 earless buns that come to us and whilst they are not totally deaf they do have a hearing impairment and it has made them that bit more likely to lunge and nip if they cant hear you coming.

Our earless bunnies are absolutely fine, in fact I think there hearing is over sensitive. I guess it might depend on why the mum decided to over groom them, for our bunnies it was being kept in cramped and dirty conditions :(

Our earless bunnies are absolutely fine, in fact I think there hearing is over sensitive. I guess it might depend on why the mum decided to over groom them, for our bunnies it was being kept in cramped and dirty conditions :(

Yes, I wondered that as well. The breeder said in the article that there are often problems with the females first litter as she is inexperienced and may have been over eager to look after the babies so overcleaned them :?

Back