• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on run for indoor bunnies, please

lis

Warren Scout
Hi! We're got two free-range indoor mini-lops who I'd like to put outdoors on a regular basis this summer. At the moment they're in our spare room, and I think it's actually quite boring in there for them - they've taken to gnawing on the furniture quite a bit. Secondly, my little boy is going to move into the spare room for the summer, so instead of gnawing his toys every day, could they not spend their days in a run, and just the nights indoors? Thirdly, we'd have their company more often if they spent their days in a run as we tend to be out in the garden in the summer more than upstairs in the house.

I have spend lots of time looking at people's set-ups and was going to buy a run-rabbit-run 6 by 6ft run - - I was just going to buy it today and found out it's a bit of a no-no.

So, here are my questions:
1. Where can I get a large foldable covered run?
2. Will my rabbits be ok in it all day long, bearing in mind what they're used to? (as long as they've got shade, shelter, water, hay etc)
3. If it's really really warm can I occasionally leave them outdoors on the terrace overnight?
4. Can I go out for an hour and leave them in the run? we do have a fox that visits occasionally, but I presume foxes can't dig tunnels in one hour?

Basically, it's going to be stressful carrying two rabbits from the loft into the garden every morning and putting them back again every night (they're pickles for being picked up), so I need to make sure it's worth it for them and for us.

Thanks.

I have two house-rabbits and am looking into various possibilities run-wise myself. :wave: xx

I'm not sure where I'm going to buy mine from yet but there is a good selection on ebay.

I don't think your proposal is quite fair, if you don't mind me saying so. A run is intended for temporary use - perhaps an hour or so or maybe a bit more. It isn't intended to be used all day. There isn't the shelter, privacy, space or security a rabbit needs to feel safe for a full day.

It would *not* be fair at all to leave them out in it overnight, no. If you want them to be able to stay in the run for long periods of time then may I suggest you purchase a hutch and run rather than just a run? There are some very good value hutch / run combinations out there. For example, the (( 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch plus 6ft x 4ft run )) from Happy Hutch isn't all that much more than a totally seperate run so why not consider this instead? :) x

I do see where you're coming from and now that the weather is (hopefully!) getting warmer perhaps you might want to look into putting them outside permanently? If they go out when it's milder they should be ok.

Also I'd say 'no' to leaving them outside if you aren't in unless they are in a hutch / run combination - even if the run is safe it certainly won't feel safe to the rabbits in it!

Just another point to bear in mind; if they aren't used to grazing on grass and you are planning to put them on grass they will need to build up hw long they spend grazing gradually as grass is very rich.

With regards to the 'picking up' point I can sympathise as my rabbits don't like being picked up either! How about using a Carrier or something? This is what I plan to do with mine as mine live upstairs and haven't figured out how to go up and down stairs by themselves yet, lol!

I hope you find a solution that suits you and your buns'. :) x

I would echo the previous comments. I think you should look for a hutch & run combo really. Your buns will be happier and safer and you should feel more at east also. There are loads on ebay, sometimes 2nd hand ones for sale on here too.

Best of luck :D

I have indoor buns who are allowed almost everywhere...I have set up an area outside which is safe for them to go in and out the back door as they please....I bought 2 tall puppy pens from ebay and my OH has attached them to a thick wooden baton either side of the back door. This is screwed into the brick. They cannot escape, it is safe and if we want to go further out, we climb through the door in the pen :lol:

I only have the back door open when someone is home of course so that they are supervised, they do need shelter to come in from the sun if it gets too hot wether its indoors or a shaded hutch :)

I have indoor buns who are allowed almost everywhere...I have set up an area outside which is safe for them to go in and out the back door as they please....I bought 2 tall puppy pens from ebay and my OH has attached them to a thick wooden baton either side of the back door. This is screwed into the brick. They cannot escape, it is safe and if we want to go further out, we climb through the door in the pen :lol:

I only have the back door open when someone is home of course so that they are supervised, they do need shelter to come in from the sun if it gets too hot wether its indoors or a shaded hutch :)

That sounds like a great idea!

Thank you so much, I knew I'd get good advice on here. I'm in the same position as you, hanlou, in that the rabbits live upstairs and I'll have to carry them downstairs two flights of stairs to get them in the run. Yes, I've got a pet carrier, but by the time I've got the second one in there the first one has jumped back out again! So I'll either buy a run and just put them in it for the odd hour or two, or else I'll buy a hutch and run combo and leave them in there from morning until night - I'll look into that. I'll still take them in in the evening though because I don't think they can ever have as much space in a hutch and run combo as they have indoors at the moment. I've looked at sheds and runs as well, but I wouldn't want to spend several hundred pounds on a set-up which is just for the summer. I think about £200 is my limit, and no DIY as I've got three small children and no skill. Anyway, thanks again for the replies.

Oh, my other crazy idea is to put wire round our 10 ft trampline and to use that as a run while the kids aren't on the trampoline..... (they don't go on there very often at the moment as they're more into football).

I wouldn't use the trampoline - it's too dark under there and they will probably enjoy some light and space. :D xx

I've just been in touch with an ebay seller who sells a 6 x 2 x 2 hutch with a 6 x 6 run underneath it. I've messaged him and checked and the run is definitely 2ft tall. They're a really good price - if you can get a 'bidding one' for the minimum you could get it for £145 including delivery! The listing is (( Here )) - I think these are a really good option tbh. A decent run will easily cost £70-ish anyway so for the extra your bunnies will have something they can be in all day (or full-time even if you decided to do that). :p x

I hate choosing though - I've looked at so many runs and hutches and playhouses I'm more confused than ever! :lol: x

Back