• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run base

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
Ok - so my runs will be on grass & I'm wanting to make 'em as secure as possible, so I'm thinking mesh underneath?

Do I just lay mesh attached to the aviary panel sides, then roll turf over it?

Or should I allow for some "digging space" - obviously not too much cos don't want any buns I can't get to or a collapsed tunnel, but I'd like the ones who enjoy digging (basically Flint!) to have the option?

What did other people do?:D

I have mesh under the the turf as our run and hutch are integrated.

if you attach it and put in in place then just turf over the bottom - should be fine :)

Angie65, I wouldn't lay the wire too far underneath, as that would encourage them to dig holes in their nice turf. Instead I'd provide some digging boxes for them to go wild in!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know how to attach chicken wire (to go underneath) to the wooden frame of the run?

Angie65, I wouldn't lay the wire too far underneath, as that would encourage them to dig holes in their nice turf. Instead I'd provide some digging boxes for them to go wild in!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know how to attach chicken wire (to go underneath) to the wooden frame of the run?

I need to know how to do that too:lol:

You can buy special little U shaped things that you hammer into the wood to hold the wire in place :D

I made a frame for mine and galvanised mesh, then put a thick layer of bark chippings on top for them to dig in.

I did take some pictures of how I did it, so here goes:

Make frame:
DSCN0811.jpg

Reinforce frame
DSCN0812.jpg

Attach galvanised mesh, using staples
DSCN0814.jpg

THis is the panel in the run (attached to the rest of the frame)
DSCN0826.jpg

And then covered with bark
DSCN0840.jpg

I just put the aviary panels on the floor, built the rest of the run on top of it. Then just lay the turf straight onto the mesh.

Back