• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tranced Bentley for the first time, and now he loves me!

AriaSwan

Warren Scout
Hey guys, I tranced my five month old unneutered rabbit Bentley today, and he didn't stuggle at all! I only kept him tranced for about 30 seconds, then tried again, but now after he loves me! He used to now like being petted and held as much, and was sort of skittish, but he sat in my lap voluntarily for a long time, and loves being petted, and he just flopped down beside me! Does trancing build trust or something, because Bentley certainly trusts me now! :D

Usually it causes stress as it's very unnatural for rabbits and most people advise you not to do it.

Trancing is thought to induce a fear response, similar to what happens if they are caught by a predator in the wild. The rabbit will 'play dead' (ie. stop struggling as you described) until the predator releases its grip, thus giving the rabbit a chance to escape.

I believe somebody on here has mentioned that it raises the heart rate too.

Some people trance for cutting nails etc, but I choose not to do it at all.

I know it is a state of fear, but I tried it, and even when he was awake and I was holding onto him he didn't stuggle. I didn't suggest he was happy during the trance, but it seemed after he liked me more- now he flops in my lap to be petted and isn't shy. I'm not planning on trancing him often

I doubt very much it was the trancing that has made him more friendly and would hate for others to read this and think it's worth a try to make a rabbit more friendly.

Perhaps it was a reaction from the trancing, but making him stressed as opposed to more friendly. You say he sat in your lap voluntarily but perhaps that's because he was too scared to move, I don't know. :?

I don't know if it stresses them or not because, in a trance like state, they are unable to react to let you know.

For this reason I would never do it to my rabbit, as well as the fact that I find it totally unnecessary.

He wasn't too scared to move, I let him down and he ran around binkying and then jumped into my lap and flopped, right after I finished trancing him. No need to get angry, I'm not planning on doing it more

I doubt very much it was the trancing that has made him more friendly and would hate for others to read this and think it's worth a try to make a rabbit more friendly.

Perhaps it was a reaction from the trancing, but making him stressed as opposed to more friendly. You say he sat in your lap voluntarily but perhaps that's because he was too scared to move, I don't know. :?

I'm not stupid, don't worry. :)
By loving I don't mean just sitting there, I mean binkying and licking my hands and flopping.

I'm not stupid, don't worry. :)

I wasn't saying you were stupid. ;) What I said was that I wouldn't want other people (who are maybe new to keeping rabbits) to read this thread and think that trancing is a good idea and will make their rabbit love them. :)

Yeah, it doesn't, but I don't want you to think I thought he was happy since he just sat in my lap :lol: I think it's not really needed, because bunnies are more fun when they are running around! :D

Back