• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and Huskies!?

Jupiter

Warren Scout
Have got two beautiful and established house bunnies - but am contemplating getting a puppy later this year. Am completely hooked on a Husky but not sure what they would be like with other animals - surely if brought up as a pup with the bunnies they would be OK??!! Anyone got any experience at all???

TIA X

I know Huskies have a high prey drive:? i dont know anyone that actually has them with rabbits,but i know plenty of people who have them and they cant be let off for that reason

I would say it very much depends on the puppy's temperament, which is obviously difficult to judge at a young age, your bunnies temperaments (the more confident, the better) and the training, but I probably wouldn't recommend it still!

I was looking into getting a husky until I found out about the incredibly high prey drive, and decided it wasn't worth the risk. I went for a (beautiful) chocolate lab instead, with the plan that my firm training :roll: she would be fine...

I live at home with my mum still, and she bought a Westie cross 6 months before I got my pup, and my lab looks at the Westie as her idol, and as a result, has some terrier characteristics, like barking and chasing. Having said that, when I have my lab by herself she's perfectly well behaved, and pretty much tip toes over to the rabbits (desperate to sniff their bums) but they just hop away. They aren't panicked that she's there, but they still don't want her sniffing their bums!!

Even so, I still wouldn't leave her alone with them. If something startled the rabbits they'd be likely to bolt, which would probably get my pup excited and make her feel the need to chase them. Not worth the risk!

xxx

I wouldnt pick a puppy either to be honest let alone a huskie, if you have 2 settled buns a hyperactive dog thats not trained wouldnt be fair

You could try to rescue a dog thats used to rabbits if you are that determined to get a dog

It depends on how the animals bought up.

Lady who has all the beagles we see, she has 4 "personal" ones, live with 5 house rabbits and Beagles are "hare hunting" dogs but these wouldn't dream of ripping them apart like many others.

Its like any animal its how you bring them up :)

We have a greyhound and rabbits and they adore each other.

i think if you bring a puppy into the house bunnies will soon put it in its place. and if you taught the pup what he/she cannot get away with all would be fine, just never be over confident and leave them alone is all id say :D

oh and pics of your happy family :love::love:

It depends on how the animals bought up.

Lady who has all the beagles we see, she has 4 "personal" ones, live with 5 house rabbits and Beagles are "hare hunting" dogs but these wouldn't dream of ripping them apart like many others.

Its like any animal its how you bring them up :)

We have a greyhound and rabbits and they adore each other.

Have you had the greyhound from a pup?

We got her when she was 5, she had raced in Ireland so had to teach her, took about 4months but her and Blue were inseprible, my god I just spelt that word so wrong :oops: :lol:

We got her when she was 5, she had raced in Ireland so had to teach her, took about 4months but her and Blue were inseprible, my god I just spelt that word so wrong :oops: :lol:

Wow thats good to know,i know of a 4 year old ex racer that needs a new home,my friend was intrested but she has 2 house rabbits,How did you get them to get on?

I have two greyhounds, which are classed as high drive dogs, and honestly, they ignore the rabbits. We've had three greys now, Breagha was adopted age 3, and never showed any interest. Todd was adopted age 5, again, he's never shown any interest. They both had successful racing careers, however they just seemed to know they were pets, not 'prey'. Of course, I wouldn't leave them unsupervised or anything, common sense obviously, but I can trust them that they wouldn't try and get at them. We adopted Maddy last year, aged 2, she had no chase instinct so was a failure on the track, again, she's not interested. Infact, they will both chase any animals away from the run if they come near them. They 'protect' them of sorts. The neighbours cat is horrible, I have seen him putting his paws in trying to attack the rabbits, however the dogs will chase him away if they are out.

A favourite pic of mine... (before I knew about the whole rabbit+guinea pig thing)...Breagha the greyhound with Rosie (bun) and Fudge (GP).
3697298915_0869377fb9_o.jpg

Thanks all so much. LOL at the pic - I couldn't make out which was the GP, thought it was a toy!

All points taken on board, got a while to think about it as I wouldn't be doing anything until later in the summer but I will think carefully.

Thanks again for all the replies. Knew I could rely on you lot!! XX

I know Huskies have a high prey drive:? i dont know anyone that actually has them with rabbits,but i know plenty of people who have them and they cant be let off for that reason

Huskies are also unable to be let off lead due to being very difficult to recall train, as their instinct is to just run and run and run! They can also jump very high!

No idea how they would be with buns, but would imagine the same as any puppy - very playful, curious and usually love to chase and mouth everything maybe including 2 buns!!

Back