• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just needing a little advice please

stacey28

New Kit
i have a netherland dwarf who is a year old and he his a male but not neuted, i was looking at getting him a friend now what would be thte best sex and how do i go about introducing them what age would be best to get etc just some adivce please

Hi there, best solution would be to get your nethie neutered and then find him a little wife to live with from one of the many rescue centres :D

Hello and welcome :wave:

Your male netherland dwarf will need to be neutered before he can be bonded with a bun of either sex. Its a simple operation which he should recover from quickly - he could then be bonded with a neutered female (usually the easiest bond I understand). He could still be fertile for 6 weeks after the operation but if the female is already neutered this won't be a problem although it can take a while for the hormones to settle which eases the bonding process. A rabbits temperament is usually more important than its size or age in obtaining a good match.

I would strongly suggest that you take a look at rescues where you will find very many neutered, vaccinated female buns of every size, colour and temperament just waiting for a friend and a loving forever home. Rescues will usually help with bonding too.

Generally male/female bonds are the strongest unless the buns are litter mates, but people on here do have same sex bonds that are successful. Usually buns will fall for any bun, despite breed or size so really it's up to you to decide what will be best for you and your set up. If you are a first time bonder you might be better getting a bun of a similar size to make it a little less stressful! The most important thing is they are both neutered first!

Back