• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mr Bo has sore hocks :( Updated

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed the other day he seemed to hop and not put all his weight on his foot. I watched again today and i noticed at the very back of his foot, it was red. I had a closer look, which he didnt really like and its right on the back of his foot, the hair has gone and its red and a little scabby but not angry, if that makes sense. Its only on his heel and this is on both feet. The rest of his feet are fine, i am really suprised as he has alot of hair.

Were at the Vets tomorrow for Vaccinations, so will obviously be mentioning this. Today whilst he was out i applied sudocream and he didnt bother too much with it. In his hutch he does have carpet and i guess this isnt ideal. Am i right in thinking i should remove the carpet and put a layer of hay? Any ideas on flooring and also any ideas on what we could start with in terms of treatment. I always like to go with an idea to the Vets, thats all :) Oh i and will hold my hands up and say he probably could do with loosing a little bit of weight as i understand this wont help?

Last edited:
I would definately remove the carpet and use soft deep hay instead.

I'd ask the Vet to thoroughly examin him for any signs of mobility problems-eg arthritis in his spine or hips, or evidence of hind leg weakness. Sore hocks can sometimes be a secondary symptom of another 'structural' problem.

Treatment will very much depend on your Vet's findings. Should arthritis be considered a possibility the daily Metacam. If the hocks look to be infected then antibiotics.

Topical treatment in very minor sore hock issues can sometimes actually make things worse. Creams etc, flatten the already thin fur thus exposing the skin even more. Some creams can soften the skin too much. So unless there is marked fur loss and inflammation of the skin I think making changes to his environment, getting weight off him, making sure his nails are kept short and also making sure he gets lots of exercise should help alot.

Should a topical treatment be suggested by your Vet I personally would want to avoid anything containing a steroid eg Fuciderm.

I have had good results with Savlon Advanced Healing Gel

http://www.chemistonline.co.uk/savlon-advanced-healing-gel-50g-c-127-p-2277

Aloe Vera Gel

http://www.highernature.co.uk/ShowP...entID=422276&gclid=CKLaofD196ACFY4U4wod4iS-BQ

For more severe cases then I have used Flamazine Cream (POM)

http://wound.smith-nephew.com/UK/Standard.asp?NodeId=2744

I would definately remove the carpet and use soft deep hay instead.

I'd ask the Vet to thoroughly examin him for any signs of mobility problems-eg arthritis in his spine or hips, or evidence of hind leg weakness. Sore hocks can sometimes be a secondary symptom of another 'structural' problem.

Treatment will very much depend on your Vet's findings. Should arthritis be considered a possibility the daily Metacam. If the hocks look to be infected then antibiotics.

Topical treatment in very minor sore hock issues can sometimes actually make things worse. Creams etc, flatten the already thin fur thus exposing the skin even more. Some creams can soften the skin too much. So unless there is marked fur loss and inflammation of the skin I think making changes to his environment, getting weight off him, making sure his nails are kept short and also making sure he gets lots of exercise should help alot.

Should a topical treatment be suggested by your Vet I personally would want to avoid anything containing a steroid eg Fuciderm.

I have had good results with Savlon Advanced Healing Gel

http://www.chemistonline.co.uk/savlon-advanced-healing-gel-50g-c-127-p-2277

Aloe Vera Gel

http://www.highernature.co.uk/ShowP...entID=422276&gclid=CKLaofD196ACFY4U4wod4iS-BQ

For more severe cases then I have used Flamazine Cream (POM)

http://wound.smith-nephew.com/UK/Standard.asp?NodeId=2744

Thanks Jane.

If i remove the carpet and use Hay should i just put hay on the bottom of the hutch? Nothing underneath? Sounds stupid i know. Also what about litter? I currently use Megazorb. Also i am concerned about putting him in the run as this is on concrete? Should i move the run to grass would this be better?

I am hoping tomorrow we will be able to get a better look at his feet so we can see how bad they are and what to do next.

A layer of newspaper topped with lots and lots of hay will be fine for his hutch.
Megazorb is OK for his litter tray.

Yes, grass would be much better than concrete. However, if he is unused to grazing then now may not be a good time to give him permanent access to grass. Grass is extremely rich at this time of year which can cause bloat in Rabbits not used to grazing all year round. So instead you would need to cover the concrete with thick hay too. Some rubber stable matting would also be an option.

A layer of newspaper topped with lots and lots of hay will be fine for his hutch.
Megazorb is OK for his litter tray.

Yes, grass would be much better than concrete. However, if he is unused to grazing then now may not be a good time to give him permanent access to grass. Grass is extremely rich at this time of year which can cause bloat in Rabbits not used to grazing all year round. So instead you would need to cover the concrete with thick hay too. Some rubber stable matting would also be an option.

He is used to grazing so that would be a good option for him and Tiffany. I actually thought about the stable matting for there hutch?!

Hey Nat i cant offer any advice as Jane has said all that i would say.

I would clean litter every day, as the wetness doesnt help if its red and sore. And megazorb is good,thats what we used. I would go for hay thickly, and never put him on concrete. If you are going to put him on concrete because you have too, then i recommend kiddy square foam tiles :) they helped wonders with Mr P B's!

I would clean litter every day, as the wetness doesnt help if its red and sore. And megazorb is good,thats what we used. I would go for hay thickly, and never put him on concrete. If you are going to put him on concrete because you have too, then i recommend kiddy square foam tiles :) they helped wonders with Mr P B's!

Thanks so much SJ :D
Just looking to purchase another run sooner rather than later to get him off the concrete, that way he can just go on the grass all the time :) I have been looking for the foam tiles but i cant find them?! :?

The foam tiles are good, Charlie has them with a sheet over (he's a chewer) and it's helped his hocks fur back over :wave:

Also the thick layer of hay REALLY helped, his hocks literally started heeling with in a few days of me covering his old hutch with hay

The foam tiles are good, Charlie has them with a sheet over (he's a chewer) and it's helped his hocks fur back over :wave:

Also the thick layer of hay REALLY helped, his hocks literally started heeling with in a few days of me covering his old hutch with hay

where did you get them Steph? the tiles?

i am thinking of going out now and covering the hutch in Hay?

Seem good to me! I like standing on them because they go squidgey under my feet :lol:

Only thing is that it's £5 delivary if you can't get to a Tesco to pick them up, and they come in a stupidly big box for what they are :lol:

Seem good to me! I like standing on them because they go squidgey under my feet :lol:

Only thing is that it's £5 delivary if you can't get to a Tesco to pick them up, and they come in a stupidly big box for what they are :lol:

Ah right, i dont mind, so long as they work. should be able to get to a store to collect :wave:

Back