• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should rabbits eat bread?

Danielle84

Mama Doe
Just a question really, not that i'm planning to give mine any but i know some people do and some people are set against it....

opinions please :wave:

me personally no, though i know a bun of mine who tries damn hard to nick my toast crusts :lol:

They do love it, I give mine a tiny crust very occasionally as a treat :oops:
and they loooooove the bread off those iced finger buns :shock:

brown bread is an easy way to give meds as it soaks in, i used to it for Peanut, but wouldnt in other cases, theres better things they can have :)

I have broken the odd brown (granary) roll into pieces, and left it on kitchen window sill in the sun, until it goes rock hard.
The buns love these... but I only let them have a little at a time.
I guess bread is like porridge, and swells in buns tums, so should be used sparingly.

I attempted to use bread to try and encourage Beau to eat, but it was more like I was putting that under his nose then swapping it for his porridge when he showed an interest. Not that it really worked anyways :(

I wouldn't give it to any of mine as a treat or anything, but I don't like the idea of treats anyways so :lol: I am a mean bunny mum :oops:

brown bread is an easy way to give meds as it soaks in, i used to it for Peanut, but wouldnt in other cases, theres better things they can have :)

That's the only time mine have bread too ..... oh, or if they find a minging piece on the lawn that the birds have dropped. :roll::roll:

That's the only time mine have bread too ..... oh, or if they find a minging piece on the lawn that the birds have dropped. :roll::roll:

Can you put bread out for birds? I do have bird feeders but just buy the stuff to put in them and things to hang up. The amount of bread my brothers waste I have never thought to leave it out for the birds. Do you need to do anything to it first?

Can you put bread out for birds? I do have bird feeders but just buy the stuff to put in them and things to hang up. The amount of bread my brothers waste I have never thought to leave it out for the birds. Do you need to do anything to it first?

I don't put the bread out - my next door neighbour just throws 3 or 4 whole slices on his lawn & then it gets dropped into my garden because it's too big for the birds. :roll: :lol:

Bread is ok in moderation for birds - brown is better than white and I think it's recommended to crumble or soak it first (not just chuck down whole slices of bread).

I put nuts, bird feed and fat balls out for the birds but also some bread as well.

Having said that though, the squirrels tend to get there first to all of it but Louie always tracks down the bread as well :roll:

Back