• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice - Cylap Limp + my Vet

tigerangel

Warren Veteran
So...I took Smudgie to the vet last Saturday morning and by Sunday morning he had a bad limp on his front right paw. Fortunately, even though I’ve never experienced it first hand, I knew enough about the Cylap side effects from this forum not to worry too much about it and kept an eye on it, which resolved itself by Monday morning. I sent an email to my vets to explain that he had suffered this side effect, included a link to an online article for reference (so they knew I wasn’t making it up) and asked for it to be logged on Smudgie’s notes. I also asked about the possibility of using Lapinject in future.

They’ve gotten back to me saying that the vet was concerned to hear this and would do some research into it, as he was not previously aware that this was a side effect, which is really good news that they’re taking me seriously. But they’ve told me that if I want to use Lapinject then they have to order it in specially in packs of 5 and I would have to pay for all 5 of them :shock: Sora and Smudgie have their vaccinations 3 months apart, so I can’t save any money by getting them done together. By the looks of things if I wanted to use Lapinject from now on then I’m going to have to fund 10 doses a year for 2 bunnies :shock::?

Does anyone have a vet who understands and accepts that the limp is a side effect? I thought that maybe giving my vet names and contact details of vets who understand more about this then it might help him with his research, and maybe might get them to offer Lapinject as a proper alternative... *ever hopeful*

I believe the fact sheet issue with the vaccine has been updated to include a foreleg limp as a side effect.

Edit...just checked and it appears not :s I'm sure someone posted on here it had been

Last edited:
It mentions the limp on the NOAH website:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Cylap/-44936.html

Up to 50% of animals will show palpable reactions which consist of swelling measuring up to 2 cm in diameter, redness and in some cases hair loss. The swelling subsides within 2-3 weeks without further treatment. Up to 50% of animals will show transient moderate pyrexia appearing within one day of vaccination and lasting for up to 3 days. Following vaccination animals may exhibit transient forelimb lameness which normally resolves within 48 hours.

From the Cylap Data Information Sheet :

Contra-indications, warnings, etc
Only healthy rabbits should be vaccinated.
Sick animals or those suspected to be in the incubation period should not be vaccinated.
To avoid severe adverse reactions contraindications must be strictly adhered to. Rabbits are known to be prone to stress related reactions.
The entire contents of the bottle should be used within three hours of the first extraction.
The vaccine is safe to use in pregnant animals but they should be handled with care.
Up to 50% of animals will show palpable reactions which consist of swelling measuring up to 2 cm in diameter, redness and in some cases hair loss. The swelling subsides within 2-3 weeks without further treatment. Up to 50% of animals will show transient moderate pyrexia appearing within one day of vaccination and lasting for up to 3 days.
Following vaccination animals may exhibit transient forelimb lameness which normally resolves within 48 hours.
No information is available on the safety and efficacy of this vaccine when used with any other veterinary medicinal product. A decision to use this vaccine before or after any other veterinary medicinal product therefore needs to be made on a case by case basis.
Do not mix with any other veterinary medicinal product.
Withdrawal period: Zero days.
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Accidental self-inoculation
To the user
This product contains mineral oil. Accidental injection/self injection may result in severe pain and swelling, particularly if injected into a joint or finger, and in rare cases could result in the loss of the affected finger if prompt medical attention is not given.
If you are accidentally injected with this product, seek prompt medical advice even if only a very small amount is injected and take the package insert with you.
If pain persists for more than 12 hours after medical examination, seek medical advice again.
To the doctor
This product contains mineral oil. Even if small amounts have been injected, accidental injection with this product can cause intense swelling which may, for example, result in ischaemic necrosis and even the loss of a digit. Expert, PROMPT, surgical attention is required and may necessitate early incision and irrigation of the injected area, especially where there is involvement of finger pulp or tendon.

In regards to the Lapinject I think that the 5 dose vial of Lapinject is only marginly more expensive (a couple of pounds) than 1 dose of Cylap so it shouldn't work out much more expensive even if they do charge you for the whole bottle.

Thanks for the help everyone, I’ve forwarded the NOAH link to them :wave: I wonder if the usual rabbit-savvy vets aren’t in today as we have never seen a male vet there (only females) for bunnies, so I wonder who this ‘he’ is that the receptionist spoke to :lol:

My vets charges just under £10 per dose of lapinject, regardless of whether I take one bunny in or 5, think they are trying to get more money out of you, I have heard that it costs vets just £17 for the 5-dose bottle!!

My vets charges just under £10 per dose of lapinject, regardless of whether I take one bunny in or 5, think they are trying to get more money out of you, I have heard that it costs vets just £17 for the 5-dose bottle!!

To be fair to the vets, they didn't tell me how much it was, they just said I would have to pay for the whole bottle. I've asked them how much it would cost to buy the whole 5 doses of Lapinject versus the one dose of Cylap and will take it from there :wave:

As long as your buns are healthy there is no reason you can't have the vaccine done a few months early just to get them both on the same timetable. I had to do that and now all four of mine go at the same time to save time and money :)

I was told the same by my vets when i wanted lapinject for Kermit.
It was going to cost me about £45 for the one injection.

I ended up getting Cylap, and he got the limp :roll: He didnt get it on his second time getting the injection.

Back