• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Seen on VET SCHOOL noticeboard....U/D another one!

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
notice.jpg

I dread to think how this will be used......now you see what i am up against! :roll:

Last edited:
Its on the intranet notice board, but i could email them a poster i guess! :roll::roll::roll: "not less than 3ft" - so thats a pet carrier then????

I did it :oops::oops::oops::oops: feel so naughty, but i guess you gotta try!

This is the email i wrote:
"Hi
Saw your advert for a rabbit hutch. I realise that you only wanted it for a few days etc, but as a fellow vet student i feel i should point out to you that a medium sized rabbit needs a hutch of AT LEAST 6ft x 2ft x 2ft at all times - see RSPCA guidelines and the poster attached. There are emergencies when we cannot help but put our animals in smaller spaces temporarily, but its neglectful and irresponsible to deliberately put a medium sized rabbit (or any rabbit for that matter!) into a 3ft hutch for any length of time. As vets we should be setting the example in care and welfare to our clients and the general public
Vikki"

Got a reply - gulp!
"Hi
Did it occur to you that perhaps the reason I was looking for a hutch that would fit in a discovery is maybe because the current one doesn't? Also perhaps that maybe I have a run so was only looking for a hutch? No. You didn't ask and have no idea. I don't know many owners that have designed and built 8m x9m enclosures, with tunnels and other enrichment features. I also believe that rabbits should be kept in as big a space as possible. Thanks for your concern but my 10 year + rabbit is healthy and happy and maybe next time you should save your lecture for someone who needs it or actually asks for it. On the day that we put my Grandmother in the ground your quite frankly rude intervention was the last thing I needed. I hope before you graduate you find more appropriate ways of expressing your opinion."

feel a bit guilty now - but i still think putting a medium sized bunny in a 3ft hutch is inappropriate, even for a week? especially if she does have such a huge one normally? why not get a friend to feed the rabbit while she's away????

Oh well, i'll send her a reply and apologise and perhaps clarify my position. Doesnt really send a good message not giving better details in the first place tho????

you were psyhic and knew her grandma was being buried today, reallllllly why do people put things like that as though you should of known, you need to polish your crystal ball more often

I wouldnt feel too down heartened tbh

I think your email was perfectly reasonable and if you HAD asked more details about what it would be used for she probably would have said that its none of your business :roll: I think its fair enough to say what you have said. You are only trying to promote good practice.

I agree that even for a week a 3ft one is too small, although she does say that she is looking for one that is at least that.

You werent to know she was having a bad time, that is unfortunate timing but you werent having a go at her so I am not sure why she needs to make you feel bad...she is probably just very sensitive because of all that is going on around her.

I would apologise for her difficult time but stand by the fact that you wanted to promote good animal care.

:wave:

Helen

:wave:Your email wasn't offensive in any way but this person has totally and completely over re-acted and frankly, her email seems a bit insincere. Someone who really was concerned with the welfare of their rabbit wouldn't go off like that. They would totally understand where you were coming from.

ah well, i replied - apologised if i caused offence or made her difficult day worse. praised her on the huge enclosure and care for the rabbit. reiterated that 3ft isnt big enough for medium bun for a week - suggested next time she leaves it at home and gets a housemate/friend/other vet student to feed it etc. Also said its best to be cautious and try to inform people of rabbits needs than to assume they already know it and allow animals to be neglected due to ignorance. i also said that i'd be as honest with my clients in the future - dont think i was rude or derogatory etc? - so then i have a clear conscience and know i have done my best for my patients.
Guess thats all you can do ay?

Back