• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Needed

daisy2009

New Kit
Hi
My mini lop developed a scab on her mouth around november last year, she was taken to vet who told me that maybe she had cut her mouth and it was just healing. The scab continue to grow and I took her back to vet just after christmas where they had no idea what it was and gave her anti biotics. this did not clear it up and the scab was getting larger by the week. Daisy by this time had developed a smaller scab on her back, I returned to vet where they pulled off scabs and sent them off to the lab. The tests came back with nothiing showing up. The vets have no idea what they are. The scab seems to been growing and now looks very saw around her mouth. Now one of daisys eye seems to be weeping. her fur is matted round her eyeand at times her eye seems to closed. She is for the past few days been pooing and weeing all over. which is very very unusal for her as she has a potty and goes in same place in garden. Generally she has her place in garden and all her stuff is done there or in her potty in hutch. now she just seems to be having 1 or 2 pellets anywhere and im also seeing alot of those poos that they are meant to eat. Can somone please advise me what is wrong with her, she just dosnt seem herself!!!

Have you tried a different vet? Or asked for a referral to a different vet?

Did they look into bunny syphillis (Vent diease?)? When they took the scab, did they test for funguses and stuff like that?

How are the genitals?

Is she on any medication at the moment?

She has saw 3 different vets at the same practice. They took picture of the scabs and sent it to another vetand they didnt seem to know what problem was. She isnt on any medication at moment. They have checked her genitals and ruled out sphlyis each time she has been. The scabs were tested for fungas and all came back clear. But they continue to grow. Now her poos have turned to a black colour and seem to much smaller pellets and alot clumped together. Along with her eye seeming to be watering alot and her fur matted around there and her not seeming herself. Im begining to get worried about her. She is at the vets later today.

The mouth and the eye could all be dental related (potentially, and I'm not saying it is) but the scabs on the back doesn't fit with that.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along soon, but I agree that your bunny doesn't sound comfy. Are the scabs in her mouth too?

I would probably be looking at some pain relief an anti inflammatory at the least because it can't be comfortable.

Ive just returned from the vet, where they have given her 2 jabs. 1 anti-inflamatory and 1 pain killer. which cost £35. They want to see her again in 24hours. Another £20 consultation fee. The vet also noticed that her nose was running, the vet seemed to think she was hot and took her temp although it was fine. The vet agreed that the scab around her mouth looked very sore. She agrees that somthing is going on with her but they dont know what. The vet has suggested doing another biopsy where they put her to sleep and take more tissue from around scab area. I have altogether paid around £200 in vets fees. I simply cant afford to keep pulling out all this money. Should I start to consider putting her to sleep for good to stop her suffering? Is she suffering?

Back