• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this discrimination!!

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I think my vets are discriminating against me for having too many rabbits :lol::lol:

They are offering free rabbit health checks through April, which includes a £5 voucher off your next vet bill.

So when I collected Lettie this morning I asked if I could book 39 rabbits in for a free health check, but they laughed at me and said no :shock::lol:

I said but thats not fair because we would have got £195 worth of vouchers for our vet bill.

there excuse was they thought I knew what I was doing with the bunnies so didn't need the health checks, so I asked if they would still credit my account with £195 and they refused :lol: I think that is so unfair as I would still have been saving them loads of time by not bringing the bunnies in :lol::lol:

too damn right its discrimination, does it say a limit on the advert the amount of bunnies ??

either that we all take one or two of your buns in under a new name claim the voucher and give it to you :D:lol:

That is awful, they are definitely discriminating against you. Does it say on the advert that there are limitations?
I'd be apoplectic with rage, you must be one of their biggest customers. :evil:

No there in no limits on numbers on the poster.

Considering who is doing the health checks, I said to Steve I think I would need more than £195 to persuade me to spend that amount of time with her :lol::lol::lol:

Liz, I have read previous posts before and I honestly think you need to change vets. That is really wrong. One rule for one person, another rule for another??? You are a RESCUE and they treat you like a piggy bank sometimes :? I see this as extremely unfair treatment!

I think that is disgraceful, my vets try to encourage me to go for things like this, its probably not even them funding it but a company.
I would find out which company it is, tell them the problem and see if they send you some freebies instead.:lol:

Good idea about the donation box- they should have one there all the time for Rainbow rabbits.

I only really posted this in a light hearted manner :)

can you honestly see us taking 39 rabbits up for a health check. It would only be a basic check with a nurse to tell us about vaccinations, flystrike, to get them weighed that sort of thing :)

I think it is great that they are offering this sort of thing to educate rabbit owners. Like other threads have said, we need to make people see that rabbits deserve better treatment and that they aren't treated as disposable pets. And offering free checks is one way of getting people through the door and educated :):)

I know my vets aren't particularly good in the way that they treat us, but they are pretty spot on with the treatment for the rabbits and that is the main thing. We have again had a good look round at other vets and TBH their prices are sometimes double what we pay at ours :shock: Plus they are 2 mins round the corner and I know that has saved a rabbits life on more than one occassion.

saying all that £195 worth of vouchers would be rather nice :lol:

I think that is disgraceful, my vets try to encourage me to go for things like this, its probably not even them funding it but a company.
I would find out which company it is, tell them the problem and see if they send you some freebies instead.:lol:

Good idea about the donation box- they should have one there all the time for Rainbow rabbits.

No it is them running it themselves, no company involved :wave:

I'm glad you posted again, i was feeling guilty for being the only one thinking you were joking! :shock: :lol::lol::lol:
yeah, i can't really see you taking all 39 up there - perhaps we could get an army of volunteers together to take 2-3 each and accumulate all the vouchers!
But seriously, if thats the offer and there are no limits, and no "not applicable if we have seen your animals in the last 6 months/year" etc, then when you asked it would have been nice if they'd said "we'll take £50 off your bill instead" or something like that?
Perhaps everyone on RU who lives nearby can go for a free healthcheck and give you the vouchers? (they'll never see us again but who cares! :lol::lol::lol:)

Sorry Liz,
I should have read this again before getting all wound up - I think it has just been a rather emotional day on the forum.
You are right, it would be unworkable to take all your buns, but you'd think they could at least give you a discount. I just think it's VERY unfair!

That would have been a nice discount! :lol::lol:

I realise it's completely impractical for you to take all the buns in, and the vets are right in saying that you probably already know everything the health check would cover. It still would have been a nice goodwill gesture to knock a little something off your bill instead.

Of course a discount would be lovely, but I can't see it happening, can you? :roll:

I noticed on the receipt today that consult costs have gone up again, I think thats about 5 times in the past year :shock:

Just wanted to add, I picked up a copy of their new quarterly magazine and have just flicked through it.

There is a brilliant 2 page spread called Keep your bunny blooming. It has excellent advice on diet, vaccinations, neutering, companionship, exercise and stimulation, flystrike and dental problems. :D:D

Plus the vet I spoke to yesterday had contacted FHB for me regarding the best steroid for Lettie, so they are not all bad :)

Just like to charge me for every little thing and never ring when they say they will and cannot work out how to transfer all the rabbits on to one account:?

Last edited:
I was in the vet today picking up a few things and our vet is running free health checks for rabbit awareness week- I said to the recepitionist that I should take in my 11 all at once, not a problem was her reply.

I made me think about this thread.

I took my two in for their vaccs and got the discount :)

There have been doing it for the whole month though (not just a week) so that's quite a lot of discounts they've provided to encourage rabbit welfare.

I don't suppose it's just the cash. 39 rabbits would probably take up their entire afternoon of appointments :lol:

:wave::wave:

On another thread Jill has just posted that her vet refused to do free health checks on her 35 so I am not alone :lol:

Last week the vets knocked about £100 off my bill for the first time ever, so they are in my good books at the moment. I bought them all cake as a thank you, so maybe they will be more inclined to reduce costs again. No harm in trying a little cake blackmail:lol::lol:

Back