• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleo is ill now- Vet gives all clear

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
For the last week or two my OH has been mainly caring for Theo and Cleo due to shifts and me doting on Earl-

Today I have been to clean them out & sit with them etc.

Cleo was fighting the dust pan and brush- not unusual- but when she was chinning the brush I saw white come over her eyes.

She sat and washed and again- white spread over her eye.

It seems to mainly be her right eye- I think its cataracts.....certainly looks that way

what can be done about this?

She is fine in every other way (or appears to be) Eating drinking etc.....

She is only about 3 or 4 years old (rescue so not too sure) but still had baby fur when we got her in 2007

Last edited:
Cataracts can be caused by E.C right?

E.C is spread by mice.........

I keep all my hay etc in the shed- plus the carpet tile that earl has in his cage.........

Earl is ill

Cleo is ill

I have mice droppings in my shed!

Oh my god I have been so stupid! thats it isnt it?????????

er.....could be. There is a definate link and a possibility, but also some other factors to consider. EC is unlikely to cause caratacts only (sorry if ive missed the thread on other symtoms). Also cataracts are inside they eye, and should be visible from all angles once significant - does the whiteness appear to be a cloudy mass inside? If you havent panacured your mob i'd consider doing it anyway just incase, especially if they are immunosuppressed from being generally ill.

er.....could be. There is a definate link and a possibility, but also some other factors to consider. EC is unlikely to cause caratacts only (sorry if ive missed the thread on other symtoms). Also cataracts are inside they eye, and should be visible from all angles once significant - does the whiteness appear to be a cloudy mass inside? If you havent panacured your mob i'd consider doing it anyway just incase, especially if they are immunosuppressed from being generally ill.

no, its on the outside, and goes a mement after she blinks

Could it be her third eyelid?

Also, there is a lot of misinformation about EC around, so don't immediately jump to any conclusions. Our knowledge in the UK is not brill when it comes to EC, but it seems to be better in the US. On another forum I belong to there is a guy who researches EC with a vet school so knows more. If you want the link to the forum, feel free to PM me :)

Could it be her third eyelid?

Also, there is a lot of misinformation about EC around, so don't immediately jump to any conclusions. Our knowledge in the UK is not brill when it comes to EC, but it seems to be better in the US. On another forum I belong to there is a guy who researches EC with a vet school so knows more. If you want the link to the forum, feel free to PM me :)

I panicked once and rushed Buu to the vets to be told I was just seeing her third eyelid :oops:

Could it be a problem with it? For some reason? Like maybe a piece of hay stuck in it or something?

I hope its just that- Theo, Cleo and Earl all booked in for 10:30 in the morning....

Bringin my monthly vet bill spend to £500.......

great

frostys eye stuck out casueing the white to pertude, not as a result of EC though.

if you are treating one bun for first time with panacur i would say treat them all at the same time, spesh if none of your other buns have ever had it, all my buns took it easy, dose on a strong smelling leaf or veg before dinner

As to knowing exact cause, cant help, frostys so far was dental, but shes on metacam and antibiotic now for the next few weeks and has improved

like skin- thought it was her second eye lids- but its staying out too long- and coming out when her eye moves

I have a couple of bunnies that suffer from this occassionally, it is like a white film on top of the eye that moves about on the surface as the eye moves?

The bunnies that have this are all completely healthy and it certainly isn't cataracts.

Try not to panic too much :)

Definately NOT a cataract then. If its the 3rd eyelid, it may stay prominent if they eye, eyelid, conjunctiva or 3rd eyelid itself are inflammed, if there is somethin stuck behind it e.g. piece of hay, if the rabbit is dehydrated or if their blood pressure is raised (i think). If its a whitish film then its either normal tears perhaps more prominent due to dust etc on the eye, or due to infection.
When more than one animal gets ill its easy to see links between them, and sometimes there are links, but dont panic and think the worst. It may just be coincidental, especially as Earl is indoors and the others are outside.

Back