• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Saying 'No'- U/D All 7 Gone :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
This morning I have been asked to take in a Doe and 6 Kits. The Doe is very poorly with an *untreated* abscess. The Kits are about a week old.

I have had to say 'sorry, I cannot help' and now I feel like :censored:

:cry:

I have given the owner some contact numbers but apparently they have already tried several places.

I know rescues find themself in this situation several times a week. It just makes me want to sit and cry

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited:
How awful for you. :( I'm so glad that I've never personally been put in this position. I've been aware of lots of animals that I haven't been able to help, obviously, but I've never personally been approached like that. We're only human though, and I'm sure you've made the right decision.

As hard as it may be, you did exactly the right thing, and you also looked after the doe as well by giving numbers of people who could help. You did all you could do for her.

Someone once asked me 'where do you draw the line', so I said 'when the care of mine would start to suffer', and he said that I was right. You have to put your own first, and not risk them, and you just absolutely cannot save them all however hard that feels.

You did the right thing Jane, for you and yours, and looked after the doe and kits in the process by giving them contact details. You couldn't have done more.

Any details about what kind of abscess? I have an interest in rabbit abscesses and could take the doe at a push if nowhere else can be found, she would probably need to wait until the kits are weaned though :wave:

I hate it too.

I've said kind of yesses twice recently. Then kick myself. Then try & change it. Then change my mind. Then wonder whether heart or head made decision. Then wonder if that matters as long as bank account agrees. Then made other arrangements. Then just sat to see what happens. That's where I am now.

Any details about what kind of abscess? I have an interest in rabbit abscesses and could take the doe at a push if nowhere else can be found, she would probably need to wait until the kits are weaned though :wave:

In her hock, she's a Rex and apparently she has had Sore Hocks for over a year which the owner was 'treating' with Germolene Cream ........................

oh blimey Jane. Well done. You have done the right thing. But i know it would make me feel awful too x

Trouble is I am not sure the owner will contact the numbers I have given.
She said she is going to phone the breeder she bought the Doe from to see if she (the breeder) can help.

I feel sick

:cry:

Really wish I could help....or offer any advise. Luckily I have J to say no for me :oops:
I guess one of us has to be sensible :roll:

In her hock, she's a Rex and apparently she has had Sore Hocks for over a year which the owner was 'treating' with Germolene Cream ........................

Ouch! I don't have any experience with hock abscesses unfortunatly, so wouldn't be the best person to take her on...but let me know if I'm needed :wave:

:shock: Oh no Jane thats awful, theres nothing you could o, we cant save them all, you have so much on your plate you did the right thing.

Did the owners tell you they had them put down? :( I cant believe a vet would do that without trying to help. (another reason i didnt become a vet!!)

:shock: Oh no Jane thats awful, theres nothing you could o, we cant save them all, you have so much on your plate you did the right thing.

Did the owners tell you they had them put down? :( I cant believe a vet would do that without trying to help. (another reason i didnt become a vet!!)

They were all taken back to the breeder who took them to her Vet. The Doe died enroute and the Breeder requested the kits be PTS.....................

I dont understand how people can be so cold and cruel I just can't comprehend it :( Binky free mummy bunny and your little babies be happy at the bridge away from this cruel world x

I would take that with a pinch of salt.Yes the doe may have died but I doubt a vet would pts a healthy load of babies.THey probably told you that to upset you as you woulnt take them.

Back