• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny bedding - what do you use?

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
:wave:
I currently use aubiose hemp beeding in our bunnies litter trays etc but i must admit I'm on a money saving mission! I wondered what bedding others used and for how many buns and how long it lasts?
I'm just looking at gjwtitmuss website and unfortunately the volume of the packaging for some products is stated in litres for others kg do its really hard to compare.
I was looking at ecobed cardboard, megazorb and aquamax (its pine but has had literally everything extracted so didnt know if it would be ok or not :?)
Can anyone help to recommend anything? Thanks v much x

Oh and there is a Flax bedding. Can bunnies be bedded on flax does anyone know?

:wave:
I currently use aubiose hemp beeding in our bunnies litter trays etc but i must admit I'm on a money saving mission! I wondered what bedding others used and for how many buns and how long it lasts?
I'm just looking at gjwtitmuss website and unfortunately the volume of the packaging for some products is stated in litres for others kg do its really hard to compare.
I was looking at ecobed cardboard, megazorb and aquamax (its pine but has had literally everything extracted so didnt know if it would be ok or not :?)
Can anyone help to recommend anything? Thanks v much x

Oh and there is a Flax bedding. Can bunnies be bedded on flax does anyone know?

I used to use megazorb until one of my buns starting eating it :roll: So now I just use newspaper at the bottom of the tray topped with loads of hay

Flax is fine for bunnies. There is a brilliant new product called Bed O linum, it will last you ages if you are only using it for litter trays. A bag is big enough to cover a 5ft x 2 ft hutch and only needs changing ever 2 weeks.
Megasorb is good as it is dust extracted, that weighs around about 14 kilos
Eco cardboard weighs about 18 - 20 kilos
Excel Bed Down weighs 20 kilos (this is lovely and soft, it is a mix of dust extracted thick flaked shavings and wheat straw)

If you want info on any others let me know and I'll see if I can

I use megazorb but only a little ill be honest, I put newspaper in the bottom, a little megazorb and then loads of hay :) so my megazorb lasts me ages!

Thanks all. Thanks holidayhutch thats useful info.
Can I ask how often you change litter trys? Esp. if you just use hay and newspaper? Thanks x

I have found another use for my old terry nappies I bought 11 years ago when Emilly was born. I put a folded terry nappy one end and hay the other so he sits on the terry nappy to chomp the hay. I change it every day just tip the poo's off ( and scoop up with a dustpan and brush ) and chuck it in the machine I use another under his dish and water and there is always an animal bed or fleece or blanket to be washed with it so it is working quite well.:D Best baby buy those terry nappies :D

Thanks all.
I found this thread from over a year ago
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=164754
and the flax bedding the OH has just come back with from titmuss is jopack not royalspan on their website. they say no citronella or anything added so we've bought an aubiose and a jopack to compare the two.
With the myxi vaccs coming up i'm trying to save where i can! :oops:

I use kitty litter (the kind made up of 100% recycled paper products). I can get it in huge bag for a decent price so it works quite well for me. I use it in the guinea pig's kitchen areas as well as Charlee's litter tray and it is very effective at controlling odour. I spot clean - removing any soiled bits, every day (sometimes every other day) depending on how soiled it is and then totally change once a week or as needed.

Back