• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

stalky dust free hay?...

vicky206

Mama Doe
had a delivery of two sacks of stalky hay from dust free hay today its the first time i have ordered this type last time i had the timothy which of course when down a treat. Not so sure about this batch though it doesn't seem to have much smell is is yellow and straw like is this normal for the stalky they sell? Gizmo has eaten a few strands but over all doesn't seen that interested, could you please tell me how you have found the appearance of the stalky hay and if your buns have tucked into it?thanks

To me, the stalky stuff looks really unappetizing and the soft looks and smells much better, but the bunnies really love the stalky and tuck into it much more.
I do get both to give them some variety though.

I haven't had the soft to compare it to, but the stalky is quite pale and very thick strands. My two loved it though.

Totally agree with all of the above. The stalky looks really dry, yellow and unappetising to me but the buns love it. They much prefer it to the soft stuff which looks much more nom-able to me :). However, the latest batch of stalky is not such good quality as last year's stuff. Norman said it came from a different field.

thanks for the replies and have to agree with all of the above he has been tucking in now thank goodness have two sacks full!:lol:

Back