• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dark poos

marleyandme

Mama Doe
Hi:wave:

Hoping for some advice. Charlie has been doing dark poos these last few weeks, they are the same size as before but he used to do very golden poos. He hasn't lost any weight and is just as keen as ever for his food and hay- he gets fed a teaspoon of oxbow pellets in the morning, fresh timmy hay all day and a small amount of dried herbs and fresh veggies in the evening. Lily (his wifey) has the exact same diet and her poos are golden. I have tried giving him some fibreplex and avipro in his water but neither have made a difference.

He is a dental bun and had a GA dental back in November, he was at the vets a few weeks ago for his jabs and the vet had a look at his teeth and said they don't look bad enough to be causing him pain and as there were no other signs of needing a dental we said we would wait and see.

Does anybody know what causes darker poos? Does this mean that he is eating less hay than before?

I have been keeping a very close eye on him and I haven't noticed any other signs that he needs a dental- I don't want to take him to the vets unnecessarily, he is happy in himself- it is a 45min to an hour taxi ride to C's and it stresses them both out.

He was bonded with Lily in January- they seem very happy together (they are flopped out side by side atm) but she still chases him now and then- could it be caused by stress?

I have written a bit of an essay! Any advice is v welcome! :)

As far as i know a change in colour of a poop isn't something to worry about. It's just the size you should worry about. My two often have very dark poops because they eat a lot of fresh grass/dried grass and greens. These all give darker poos. Oat hay in my experience gives golden poos. So it seems your two rabbits might have slightly different preferences in what they eat lol!

I find that buns get dark poohs when they eat more green things eg grass green veg, fresh herbs. It's OK as long as the poops are still all fiber & dry. It's very difficult to tell how much hay a bun is actually eating. The pile may go down but is he sitting in it? type problems. It's even more difficult when 2 buns feed together.

My own bun will change his diet to more fresh green food as his spurs start, but we keep going until he has fewer smaller poops.

Back