• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating after castration

Jo_!

New Kit
Hi

I am hoping someone will be able to help/ give me some advice regarding my
rabbit.

He had a castration about 2 weeks ago and since then he has been refusing to eat. He has been back to the vets 5 times now, and I have been giving him antibiotics (he does not have an infection but have been told to give him this as his immune system may be weak due to him not eating), recovery food and some fibre (can’t remember what it is actually called now). In the two weeks he has eaten about 1 whole carrot and 1 cabbage leaf and little bit of hay, he is totally refusing to eat the pellet’s but has been drinking well (until yesterday). I took him back to the vet yesterday to have his teeth filled (there is nothing wrong with his teeth as they checked them when he had his castration) but where quite insistent that this needed to be done before further action could be taken. Since yesterday he has not drunk any water and only eaten about an inch worth of carrot. I called the vet today to report this but they have instructed me to carry on with the force feeding, fibre and antibiotics. Other than that he seems to be fine in himself, hopping around etc.

I fear that I am stressing him out more by keep having to force feed him. Any thoughts/ tips or ideas what can help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help!

Jodie

First it was tiny round balls, but now it's more clumpy, sticky and smells quite a bit although he is not pooing that much.

I responded on your other thread. I agree with Jane about pain relief. When you say he has had it, did the vet just give an injection or a bottle of metacam for you to take home. If it was the latter, what dose of metacam is he on and his weight?

Were you given any Zantac syrup or similar? It acts like a gut stimulant and really helped Ozzie when he was struggling to eat a week or so after a dental. He also had some pain relief in the form of an injection a couple of times.

Already had the syrup, he was on that last week but has not helped at all. I have just booked an appointment at another vet for tomorrow for a second opinion.

Already had the syrup, he was on that last week but has not helped at all. I have just booked an appointment at another vet for tomorrow for a second opinion.

I think you need a second opinion. Hopefully you'll get some better answers at a different vet. He def needs pain relief though.

Maybe if you post what area you are in somebody might be able to advise a bunny savvy vet.

We had the same problem with our boys when we had them done. The only thing they would eat were the burns meadow mixes. Mine had GI stasis the other day and the only thing I have managed to get him eating is cammomile hay from P@H. It has really done the trick and he is eating normally now :). Good luck!

Metacam wears off after 24hours and I would try a longer course to see if this helps with the eating.

Argh! He has completely stopped drinking now, and seems to be lethargic. I have been force feeding him for 2 weeks now, it’s starting to get me down as I know it is stressing him out. I am taking him to the vet tonight and I will ask for some pain killers… but surely he shouldn’t be in pain 2 weeks after the op?!

Back