• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny on bunny bite :(

Charlotte1984

Young Bun
Hi,

I am introducing two buns at min and have had a bit of a nasty bite incident, my boy bunny had a bit of a vicious tug at the fur on the girly's neck and has torn a layer of skin off with the fur.

The wound doesn't seem particularly bad, kind of like a graze, no heavy bleeding etc, but it is quite open. I just want to know the best way to keep this clean and make sure it heals properly. My initial thought is cotton wool and salt water batheing just to keep it clean - is this ok? x

Personally I would take her to a Vet. Bite wounds can easily become infected and end up causing more serious (and more expensive to treat) problems.

Also, she will probably need pain relief as the last thing you need is a pain (and bonding stress) induced GI stasis.

Bathing with a sterile saline solution is OK as a First Aid Treatment. But as I say IMO she needs to be seen by a Vet.

Marble had a clean bite from Alfie in their early in their bonded relationship.
When checked, my vet was happy without dressing/stitching. Marble had antibiotics immediatly and I had to add to the water too.
There was no graze, fur pulled, or visible blood. Goodness only knows how i saw it!

It's ok, I rang my vet, they have advised me to clean with warm water and keep an eye on it and we've got an appointment to see vet tomorrow night to check it out just in case.

Thanks for all advice - out of interest are Marble and Alfie bonded now and how long did it take to recover from the biting incident?

It's ok, I rang my vet, they have advised me to clean with warm water and keep an eye on it and we've got an appointment to see vet tomorrow night to check it out just in case.

Thanks for all advice - out of interest are Marble and Alfie bonded now and how long did it take to recover from the biting incident?

Did the vet mention anything about pain relief?

Check she is eating ok as, if she is in pain, she may well go off her food. If she does, a vet trip would be essential.

The same thing happened to me earlier today, two males got into a fight and one bit the others manhood :shock: Vets have given him a painkiller injection and I have to give him two 0.4ml doses of Baytril a day. Poor thing screamed during the fight but luckily he's back to his normal self now

She is absolutely fine in herself, eating, hopping around normally, she lets me touch and clean it without even flinching so vet seems to think is ok.

Honestly, if i thought she was in any pain at all, or it looked messy i'd be at the emergency vet no matter what the cost - they are my babies, money is not an issue if they're hurt!!

As I said, we are going to see vet tomorrow night for my peace of mind too, unfortunately can't get there before this as i work in London, on train before vet even opens and 'I need to take bunny to vet' doesn't wash too well as reason for going to work 3 hours late!! :roll:

Am glad your poor bunny that had his boy bits nipped is ok, doesn't sound nice, think I'd cry!

She is absolutely fine in herself, eating, hopping around normally, she lets me touch and clean it without even flinching so vet seems to think is ok.

Honestly, if i thought she was in any pain at all, or it looked messy i'd be at the emergency vet no matter what the cost - they are my babies, money is not an issue if they're hurt!!

As I said, we are going to see vet tomorrow night for my peace of mind too, unfortunately can't get there before this as i work in London, on train before vet even opens and 'I need to take bunny to vet' doesn't wash too well as reason for going to work 3 hours late!! :roll:

Am glad your poor bunny that had his boy bits nipped is ok, doesn't sound nice, think I'd cry!

I went in at 5pm for an emergency consultation and the whole thing cost £35 which I think is a great price, especially considering this certain vet practise is very expensive

out of interest are Marble and Alfie bonded now and how long did it take to recover from the biting incident?

They recovered immediately, just two boys briefest of scuffle.
They had already bonded, and Marble, the smaller of the two, has never moved from his position as 'boss'.

UPDATE

Smokey was fine, just a small graze, they cut off bit of dead skin and fur that was hanging off, gave her a pain killer after she'd been tugged and poked at for 15mins, poor baby! But was clean and healing well on it's own, so all is good :)

Did cost £52 though!!! :shock: For them not really to do a lot as far as i'm concerned!!

Only prob is, now am terrified of putting them together again as firstly, don't want either hurt and secondly cannot afford £50 everytime they decide to have a nip at each other!! x

Back