• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

carnivorous buns!!!!

bgw12

Young Bun
The other day my rabbits were in the big run and I was feeding them scraps from the kitchen - potato and carrot peelings, etc. I'd also brought left over roast chicken for the dog which I accidentally tossed in. I went to pick it up but they ran over and scoffed the lot:shock:! All that was left over was a bit of bone. I thought rabbits were herbivores and didn't like meat but they loved this. Is this normal or should I be worried?
bgw12 x x x

Keep a close eye on them and their "output". Hopefully it won't upset their stomachs. :shock:

One of my buns ate a few pieces of dry cat food when he wondered out of his room :shock: Didn't seem to do him any harm but I didn't think they would go for stuff like that!

Just a note for future, potato peelings aren't good for buns, can't remember why but some knowledgeable person on here will be able to tell you I'm sure :)

The other day my rabbits were in the big run and I was feeding them scraps from the kitchen - potato and carrot peelings, etc. I'd also brought left over roast chicken for the dog which I accidentally tossed in. I went to pick it up but they ran over and scoffed the lot:shock:! All that was left over was a bit of bone. I thought rabbits were herbivores and didn't like meat but they loved this. Is this normal or should I be worried?
bgw12 x x x

I think that uncooked potato is poisonous for rabbits.

our first rabbit stole my daughters bacon sandwhich out of her hand and scoffed a big bite of bacon....then a bit of sausage with ketchup off her fork as it was going into her mouth.
terrified phoned vet..and also shed once eaten tuna felix just a mouthful and then some cat biscuits....i panicked..she was a holy terror could get all over the house. she was put out when i moved the cats bwols in the kitchen and made my youngest sit up out of her beanbag chair so she couldnt reach.

i was terrified shed die but apart form one squishy poo she was fine. but when her teeth were really painful shed do it everywhere. she didnt get that bad form what she ate.

bujt some buns havent been as lucky.:( ive heard some nasty tales online over the years.

potato

I think I'm right that potato is fattening, and that the 'eyes' are toxic... I am sure some of the regiular expert posters will be able to say for sure. I never feed potato to mine.

When we first got Little Ted he wanted to try everything we ate. He'd jump up on the settee and try and tuck in. The strangest things hes eaten are chilli con carne, and also a piece of chicken from a curry and a chip covered in curry sauce that was so strong it made my eyes water. I've always taken anything inappropriate off him straight away, but he looked very disgruntled when I pulled the chip out of his mouth :lol:. We've been lucky I think that there have never been any ill effects, and we've never let him eat anything 'wrong' on purpose, he's just so blinkin quick! Funnily enough now we've had him for a few months he's much less bothered and tends to pretty much stick to bunny foods :). Our other bunny Rosie has never tried eating anything she shouldn't (apart from wall paper, carpets and furniture but that's a whole other story!)

potatoe is normally calssed as poisonous i couldnt say which parts when arthur came to me starved and neglected he ahd been living on bread and potatoe peelings he survived but barely to look at him poor mite... i know its not so extreame but i wouldnt feed potatoe if possible. also regarding the meat keep an eye on bun and dont let it have it as a normal food!! naughty bunny!!! in saying that coco had chunks out of me and survived:lol::lol::lol: he never bites any more tho!:):love:

When we first got Little Ted he wanted to try everything we ate. He'd jump up on the settee and try and tuck in. The strangest things hes eaten are chilli con carne, and also a piece of chicken from a curry and a chip covered in curry sauce that was so strong it made my eyes water. I've always taken anything inappropriate off him straight away, but he looked very disgruntled when I pulled the chip out of his mouth :lol:. We've been lucky I think that there have never been any ill effects, and we've never let him eat anything 'wrong' on purpose, he's just so blinkin quick! Funnily enough now we've had him for a few months he's much less bothered and tends to pretty much stick to bunny foods :). Our other bunny Rosie has never tried eating anything she shouldn't (apart from wall paper, carpets and furniture but that's a whole other story!)

When I started to learn a bit about how complex rabbits are, I asked a really silly question. "How do baby rabbits learn to be rabbits (the complex behaviour, avoiding being eaten by a predator, & what to eat & not to eat in a field)" When Thumper was a youngster he'd watch me intensely & copy me at times. Some behaviour was innate & complete but some had vital steps missing!

It sounds to me that without an older rabbit to watch, little Ted was trying to learn from you what was good to eat, but eventually realised that humans & buns eat different things.

all green parts of the potato (i.e. shoots, leaves, stems and poatoes that have been exposed to light) are extreamly toxic as they are in the nightshade family along with tomatoes and tobacco. The toxin can cause headaches, stomach upsets, coma and death, although the more you eat the more serious the condition rather than being instantly fatal like cyanide. Even the potato contains small levels of the toxins but breeders have to ensure that levels are kept below a certain level. Cooking doesn't affect the toxins although raw potato can be very hard to digest.

Not recomended for bunnies because (a) High in caloroies (b) The "safe" quantity of toxins that be consumed by bunnes is ?????? Not sure that that has ever been tested although people did used to feed their bunnies mashed potato :shock:

Bunnies will eat meat as they would often eat insects I guess but it's not really in their natural diet. I would probably cut out their tea and give them hay only for a few days & possibly get them a probiotic to help their digestion.

Back