• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cant cope with this any more....Need help- U/D from new Vet- post 50

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
As you may know , Earl is ill - STILL

He is in partial- Stasis. Eating every now and then and hardly drinking at all.

He has been admitted to the vets twice- each time he picks up and comes home- they is ill again.

For the last week we are practically forceing water down him.

I just cant cope with the heartache any more- one minute he is fine- eating a pellet or two or having a sip of water- and the next he is listless and not eating.

Its horrible forceing medicine down his neck- he is on Baytril, Metoclop and Antepsin.

Feel like just letting him go- he hates me and wont come near me because I have to keep force feeding him.

Is it better to just let him go? is it kinder on him? I hate seeing him suffer- I dont want him to die but am I being cruel making him go on??

The vets say they will do a blood test but I have to wait 48 hours for the results.They said they can Xray- but 9 times out of 10 it wont show any problems with the guts as they are difficult to see.

I have paid them £300 already- just to have him overnight on a drip- which picked him up for a while.

They say his teeth 'look fine' and they can hear gut noises-

whats going on? please help. We have been force feeding/watering him for almost a week now-

Will he improve? does anyone know what wrong with him? Its a total mystery.....

Its just constant heartache - the vets say they have done nothing wrong but he has been for consult twice this week- and stayed overnight- and they have done nothing to diagnose the problem but look in his mouth and listen to his belly.

Please can someone help. I have tried warm pads for him to lie on- used a vibrator on his belly (internet said too!) , tried to feed him papaya tablets to help the enzymes- prolapin he wont touch AT ALL

any ideas please.........

Last edited:
What is his poo output like ?

How certain is the Vet that teeth are not an issue ? He's incisorless isnt he ?

Why is he not receiving any pain relief ?

it can take weeks for the gut to recover from stasis.. it feels like it will never be over but then one day its gone.

just keep up the treatment and try not to panic too much (says me all i do is cry when alvins in stasis)

loads of new vibes xxxxx

When he is admitted to the vets have they given him pain relief? I am wondering whether there is a small spur somewhere that they can't see without GA, so with pain relief he eats, and stops when it wears off?

Are you confident in your vet? If not I would take him elsewhere for a second opinion?

I don't think it's time to even think about letting him go yet.

Edit to add, my vet will always xray a bun who isn't eating (concious) and says it is a good indication of what is going on

What is his poo output like ?

How certain is the Vet that teeth are not an issue ? He's incisorless isnt he ?

Why is he not receiving any pain relief ?

I am not sure why he isnt having pain relief. They didnt prescribe it. HE hasnt been grinding his teeth etc...

Yeah he has no incisors

And they said they can see his molars and they look fine- I asked for an Xray but they said they will not do one until his bloods are back.

think I should try another vets?

Grinding teeth is like extreme pain, rabbits can suffer with lots of pain without grinding their teeth. I would see about getting some Metacam at the very least.

The other thing may be that he may be feeling stress from you guys and potentially acting and reacting due to that?

Grinding teeth is like extreme pain, rabbits can suffer with lots of pain without grinding their teeth. I would see about getting some Metacam at the very least.

The other thing may be that he may be feeling stress from you guys and potentially acting and reacting due to that?

Have booked him with a different vets..

Poo is very few and far between. ........

3 poos an hour maybe- but never more than 10 in a day- and they are tiny

i was just going to suggest a different vets. i can recommend mine but they are based in wolves - may not be too far? (5/10 mins from city centre)

Yeah if he hasn't been drinking much ask for fluids too
Thanks,

Unfortunately I will be at work for the appointment- my OH is taking him- Have written Metacam and Fluid on a post - it note.

I will brief him prior to the appointment....

Wish I could go but work aren't sympathetic with 'My rabbit is ill' lol

He is running about now- eating etc. About 45 minutes ago I forced some water and pro-lapin down him with a syringe- Only about 4ml but it seems to have perked him up. But the sad thing is I know it will wear off again soon.....

I would think it was teeth that hurt him- but the only thing he eats without fail is fenugreek crunchies- which are really hard and you think they would hurt him more surely....

Saying that he is not eating the fenugreek now! but he is eating a little hay and.......

HE JUST ATE HIS POO!!!

Woooooo, thats exciting :D

Back