• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Marble not right!

kathryn773

Warren Scout
Posting to let you know :( but dont know nothing yet....

Marble has lost weight noticably, i could feel his spine. Otherwise he is the same bright eyed, lively bun.
He has been going to vets 4 weekly (with alfie too) to keep an eye on teeth,
At the vet today the scales confirmed the weight loss.
Marble has been eating pellets and hay and drinking water as normal. The vet could not see anything obvious, it took them more than one attempt to get enough blood out. So I needed to leave them there for a few hours. One test is checking for EC. I think I find this the hardest to accept need of, when both rabbits are panacured as directed.
I was also quite alarmed to be told, if it is EC anyone with weak immune system should keep away. My neice has Crohns disease and spends a lot of time here.
the results will be back within 2/3 days.

2-3 days my backside!
yesterday, the initial results in the blood tests indicated a parasite cause of his weight loss.
i went to the vets today and rather than a 9 day cours of panacur, the vet nurse gave me LAPIZOLE - her preference to panacol. the next (and final )result indicate he has EC.

Off the spoons - alfie tasted it, and ran off, Marble smelt it and ran off! I dont syringe feed my two, i am a coward, afraid of damaging their mouths.
the initial dose has gone, mainly on marbles paws, but he will be washing himself so that wont be a complete waste.

the latest!

took him back to vets last night, marble looked like a noddy donkey when breathing. he is eating and drinking ok.
they wonder if the EC is going to his lungs etc . he has had an injection of steroid and an injection of antibiotics.
i have antibiotics to give twice daily.
to look at him, a casual observer wouldnt notice a thing.

I was also quite alarmed to be told, if it is EC anyone with weak immune system should keep away. My neice has Crohns disease and spends a lot of time here.

I think you have to have a pretty severely compromised immune system (e.g Aids) for it to be a concern. My Step-Mum has Crohns and I'm pretty sure its an autoimmune disease, ie the immune system is overactive rather than underactive. The best thing to do would be to ask her doctor.

I think you have to have a pretty severely compromised immune system (e.g Aids) for it to be a concern. My Step-Mum has Crohns and I'm pretty sure its an autoimmune disease, ie the immune system is overactive rather than underactive. The best thing to do would be to ask her doctor.

she has asked her consultant now - they have never heard of it! thank you for your knowledge too, both have put my mind at rest, but she wont be handling them - just in case!

Back