• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dentals Questions

If it was up to you to choose, which dental option would be your first choice?

• CONSCIOUS dental

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • GENERAL ANAESTHETIC dental

Votes: 30 71.4%

• Total voters

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
For EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES only - i dont have a dental bun and i'm not stating my opinion either way.

Please could people with experience express their opinion in the poll. Feel free to comment otherwise, especially if there is an option i have missed! I'm not trying to open a debate or anything!

Thanks

ooooh first to vote.

GA option for me. as scary as a ga is for me id rather my buns be asleep and not scared while having thier teeth messed with. if i was unfortunate enough to lose a bun under GA i would accept it as my fault but i would be comforted by the fact they wasnt aware.. if that makes sense

eta - Alvin has only had one dental and there wasnt a choice on the way it was done. he came around fine and forgave me really quickly :D

Definitely GA for molar spurs.
Many buns are OK without a GA for a quick trim of incisors. Mine would be too fiesty!

It depends what dental was required, for example, what teeth were affected and the extent of what needed to be done on those teeth.

I think it also depends on the bunny and their tolerance. My only experience is with GAs and molar spurs. Conscious 'clipping' was done on two of my buns with malocclusion back in the early 90s, and thats it.

I think it depends on the work required, jelly had a tiny spur that wasnt causing her problems, and she had to have a GA for it, which meant she had to stay overnight, and the next night too, and she was very subdued when she came back.

I couldnt help but think if she had it concious, that she would have been better off. If it was any more work than what she had done, GA definatly.
But when its something tiny..im not sure

GA for mine, always. My practice don't offer consious dentals but I wouldn't let them even if they did. As far as I'm concerned I'd rather my boys never woke up from the aneasthetic, than die from a heart attack due to extreme stress and fear.

I know everybun is different, but I also know my boys. I would never inflict a consious procedure of this sort upon them.

I've shadows vets and watched loads of teeth burring for incisors which was concious and the bunnies seemed fine afterwards... I guess if its incisors and the vet is sure the bunny will be okay then this should be the option.

However, if its the premolars/molars, I would defiantly go down the GA route!

I cant vote. First choice for a totally healthy and young bun would be GA but first choice for a bun like Snowdrop who a GA would be extremly risky for would be conscious.

Totally depends on the bun in question.

Honestly I don't have a clue - I face the same choice over my bunnies - Fudge is now having Dentals every six weeks, they are his very very back molars that get small spurs and make him miserable - He hates people looking in his mouth, and so G/A is the best for him - but the effects after he comes round, he is stressed, groggy, wobbly, and misrable - granted this all passes within 24 hours, but that is 24hours of utter stress, and heartache for me :cry: However as you can't even see the spurs when he is awake, there is no way it would be done awake, and tbh he's hate it, but sometimes I wish is was possible, as I think all in all I'd rather have a half hour of stress for him then 24 hours of this (I just got him home from a dental today) - Then I look at timmy, who is getting weaker and weaker, and I know if he ever needs another dentalhe most likely won;t wake up from the G/A - so to be completely honest I HATE both options, and I wish with all my heart there was another way :cry:

GA for me - My vet examines Santa's teeth whenever she sees her - at least once a month- yet last time she had a dental, my vet found a spur which had grown sideways into her cheek. There is no way she would have been able to find that and deal with it had it not been for the GA so for me it shows how important it is to be able to have a good examination and burr the teeth right down rather than just dealing with any sharp bits.

GA for mine, always. My practice don't offer consious dentals but I wouldn't let them even if they did. As far as I'm concerned I'd rather my boys never woke up from the aneasthetic, than die from a heart attack due to extreme stress and fear.

I know everybun is different, but I also know my boys. I would never inflict a consious procedure of this sort upon them.

As above (and Donnamt too!) GA for me!

GA. My vets won't even do conscious dentals and knowing my buns, especially my dental bunny Bugs, i know he'd freak out about a conscious dental, i'd rather not risk it unless absolutely necessary.

bad enough I know vets that still use clippers spurs

but i agree with others pending on the amount and the buns some buns can tolorate a conscience one, but for me id rather under GA

GA.

Daphne, my dental bun, is incredibly nervous of everything and squeals like a stuck pig and flips about if the vet even picks her up. I genuinely think she'd have a heartattack and die if she had a concious one. :shock:

And surely a GA enables the vet to have a much better look inside the mouth too? Even in very placid buns, there must be a certain amount of wriggling about.

Trav has regular GA's for dentals. I wouldn't have it any other way for molars. As has also been said, other problems have on several occasions been found as a result of being able to get a proper look under GA.

Trav recovers really quickly, I don't know what it is they use, but I know he had a very difficult and groggy reaction once when they tried an alternative. My vet (who's foreign, but great) often describes it as a quick whiff of gas to knock him out for the very short time needed, and he's usually eating, and ready to come home by 2-3pm after a morning GA.

I'm more than happy with this, as GA may be more costly, but at least I know it's less stressful and more checks can be made on him and any other oral issues.

Totally depends on the individual rabbit and the work that needs doing.

To slightly change the topic....

I hate reading cases on here when owners refuse to pay for regular GA dentals and are scared away from conscious dentals...and the poor bun ends up being PTS...usually accompanied by lots of crocodile tears and bull**** about it being the 'kindest' (read cheapest) thing to do :cry:

I would make the choice depending on the temperament of the rabbit. Willow came to me with servere tooth problems. He had the first dental under GA/xrays to burr right down and make a decent assessment and then every month or so he would have them done without GA. He was easy to handle so I would hold him whilst my vet did what was necessary. She was the only vet in the practice that would do it so I would have to check when she was on hols. My vet is very good and I was completely confident in her ability and for her to know what was right for him. He would be fine and eating almost as soon as he was home. He spent 18 months with me before sadly passing away of old age - no illness or anything.

Back