• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another poo query

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
Got a wee mini lop a couple of days ago (long story). He does the worlds smallest poos. They are like the size of hamster poos. He's also been leaving his caecotrophs around. I think he's a bit of a porker so am wondering if he has trouble cleaning his bum. Im having to brush out poo a couple times a day once its dried in. Also the caecotrophs totally reek.
Not sure exactly what he was getting fed but prob lots of pellets. I only give him a small amount - little amounts of veg till he gets used to it and the usual plenty of hay. He does do mostly solid poos.
Any hints would be great thanks. Nicki

No we have only just got him. He'll be going for a vet check in the next week or so once he settles in. He's been moved from pillar to post over the past few months so i dont want to upset him yet again right away.
Thanks for the reply. Hope eating the hay will sort him out! :)

It could be the change in diet, or just that he's a bit stressed out at the mo. & needs quiet to adjust to his new surroundings.

You're on the right diet now, with lots of hay, so stick with it. :thumb:

As more fiber from hay goes through his poops should get bigger & hopefully he won't leave hid caecs.
As you rightly say he may be a bit porky to reach. Is he grooming his rear end?

Hiya. His diet hasnt really changed as i made sure i got some of his old food to gradually introduce new into. Veg is just small amounts - but saying that it prob still could be that?

I havent seen him managing to groom his underneath. I really dont think he can get to it. Am hoping the hay helps his pooing! Compared to the other buns poos they are teeny

id cut veg, limit pellets, he on excell at all some buns have been known to get funny smelly poos from it

and or course hay hay and more hay, perhaps some fresh willow and differant types of hay to tempt him

Id really watch him though, teeny poos are not good for bunnies

Well ive got some lighter coloured poos which are growing in size :D
Soon hopefully he'll be cleaning his own bum :lol:

I knew excel was funny to some buns as thats what he was on so now hes on mostly what we feed our buns and seems to suit him much better.

Back