• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Turbo is poorly...hopefully on the mend!

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Poor Turbo had lots of excess cecotropes yesterday and didn't eat most of his food. He hadn't produced many normal poops this morning despite all the usual treatments for gas, so I took him to the vets.

The vet thinks she can feel a mass in his abdomen. She doesn't think that it's in his stomach (but it's a possibility) and feels more like his liver or possibly even spleen :(

He's being treated for GI slow down and antibiotics in case of infection, but if he's not right by tomorrow he'll need an x-ray.

At the moment he's out on the lawn eating grass in the hope that it gets everything moving.

I'm really hoping that it's not a liver or spleen problem because I fear the only outcome would be PTS? :cry:

I don't suppose anyone has any experience, thoughts or advice?

Last edited:
Spleen may be enlarged because its in overdrive fighting an infection? Hope the abx help him.

:(:(:( Poor little man Amy, I'm sorry I've no advice but wanted to send him some vibes - I hope he'll be ok xx

Thanks for the reply :D

He doesn't seem any better tonight, and will only eat grass and weeds from the garden (thank goodness it's spring).

There was a thread on here somewhere about rabbits instinctively knowing what to eat when they are unwell. I firmly believe this.
I too have a poorly boy. He's been ill for almost five weeks, with little improvement. Several days ago, he went into the garden and deliberately ate common ivy, no grass or weeds, just ivy. He's done it everyday since, and tonight for the first time since he got sick, he not only looks a lot better, but ate enough supper on his own, that I didn't have to syringe feed him.
Might be coincidence, and I'm not suggesting anyone feeds their rabbit ivy, just saying that I'm sure Turbo knows what he's doing.
Fingers crossed for your boy.

He hasn't passed any poos overnight, and has only nibbled at bits of food so he's back at the vets today for x-ray and teeth check under sedation.

He's gonna need some mega vibes...I really don't think he'll be coming home tonight :(

awww you will have him home, maybe the vets would be happier keeping him in tonight but youll get him back once theyve worked thier magic. loads and loads of new vibes for him xxxxx

Well...

the x-ray showed that his intestines are hugely distended, which is what the vet could feel. She thinks it's probably lots and lots of impacted food (which makes sense because he's by far the greediest bun :roll:).

He's having lots of fluids and gut motility agents to try to get everything moving along again.

He's been on the lawn again tonight and has eaten quite a lot of grass and done a few poops (a mixture of unformed, stinky ones and very hard, dry ones)

Just got to keep our fingers crossed now

Back