• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snugglesafes and Covers...

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
When is it time to stop using snugglesafes and pulling the tarpaulins down at night?

Twinkle and Star are in their shed and they still have a snugglesafe and we pull the tarpaulins over their hutch at night but I worry when is the right time to stop, because I also dont want them to be getting too warm....

But then again its still quite cold at night isnt it?!

Confusing myself...and worrying....

I only used Snugglesafes when it was below freezing, the rest of the time they just had plastics pulled down, but always (apart from one night) had access to their weather proof run.

I would say you could stop the snugglesafes now, and then when the weather gets warmer overnight then ease off the tarpaulin but do it in steps so that you can have it covering but protecting and they still get fresh air, other times completelt covered, other times as minimally covered as possible.

Yeah thats what I was thinking of going. I was waiting until it was spring then I have all of a sudden realised it is April :oops::oops: I think its because it doesnt feel obviously like spring, even though the flowers have started coming out lovely here, there have still been a few chilly nights and I would worry about them getting too cold.

Even though they have each other and the tarpaulins and the piles and piles of straw :oops::oops:

I only use Snugglesafes when it's absolutely freezing, so if one comes out now it's normally for a bun that is poorly or me if my tummy hurts! LOL

I only use them in extreme temperatures, eg -5 so obviously haven't used them for a while. I think you just need to check the temperatures in your area. On the MET Office website you can see what the temperatures were overnight. If it's about 10 degrees or higher then I don't think there is any point in using them. I don't think there is much point if it's above 5 degrees either unless you think your buns are very fragile.

I only used the snuggle safe when the temp got to below freezing (generally keeping an eye on the weather forecast). I have still been putting the blanket over and the tarpaulin over, but the way I have it set up it isn't a "tight" covering! I put in on after dark and it's removed not long after light!

Hannah :)

Oh dear, I've been using it for too long then :oops:

I think the temps around here at night are currently around the 2-3 degrees mark, and I think they are due to rise overnight towards the end of the week. I will probably take it away tonight then as they will still have the loose covers and plenty of straw and they are in their shed and they have each other, so I think they will be ok.

The only thing is that Twinkle really likes to lick it....! :lol:

Back