• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How does everyone guard against fly strike?

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
My plan of action will be to prevent with a good diet (little pellets, lots of hay, some veg and fresh herbs) check their butts are clean by feeling if they're fluffy under the tail (it stresses them out too much to be lifted and upturned) and keep their toilet area clean.

Can I do anything else? Are fly screens effective/necessary? Can I get any kind of preventative spray? Advice would be appreciated, thanks. :?

I've used Rearguard in the past. I only use that if I'm going on holiday over summer and the buns are staying with other people.
There is also a flystrike spray by beaphar I think.
I don't know how effective either of them are. I've never had a bunny with flystrike but obviously have no idea whether that's down to the spray!

I think as long as the bunnies are kept dry and clean the risk of flystrike isn't too great.

I use citronella oil which flies hate.
I dab some in cotton wool,wrap in muslin and pin it around the shed.
Also spray the litters trays with it:D
Also use fly netting on the runs.

Last edited:
You would not be able to tell by feeling if a tail is fluffy as they lay eggs into the fur. You should really do a thorough check all around the back end and underneath.

Rearguard does not keep the flies away, however it will prevent any eggs from hatching if they are laid.

I use mosquito netting stapled (with staple gun) to the run, make sure no flies are trapped in though before closing it. I also have a fly zapper think for inside their wendy house during summer months (rechargeable one).

I have seen the fly repellent sprays but don't know how good they are.

Obviously make sure they are clean and clean toilet out at least once a day. I have a cat litter tray and clean it out twice a day in the summer. I also use megazorb to absorb smells in it.

Thanks for all that everyone!

I'm worried about being able to do a thorough check on their fur rather than just feeling underneath. My buns are not naturally cuddly and Benson especially is very difficult to get on his back and it really stresses him out. Lola hates it too but she's easier to handle. While I know fly strike would be much more stressful, I would hate to have to lift them and frighten them like that every day. Oh I don't know what to do. I'd be dreading every day having to catch em, flip em over and then hold em still while I check em! :?

Could someone help you, e.g. you hold them while they check them so you don't have to put them right on their back.

One of mine is very easy to check, however the other one get a bit freaked out. I calm her down by stroking her nose, then I lean right over her and hold her bum and front paws and hold her to my chest, then slide her down gently - long enough to check.

If you are unable to check them properly, it would be worth considering using rearguard as a precaution, a vet nurse would probably help you to apply it.

I use Flyguard by Beaphur, but my buns aren't high risk so I don't know if it helps at all. They really hate it when I put it on but at least it is supposed to last for 3 months.

If you have buns at particular risk then see the vet and they might think using Rearguard for prevention is worth it.

I used to use the Beaphar one on Sooty as she was a bit overweight. Also used to check her twice a day in the summer, once a day the rest of the time.

I did actually find flies eggs had been laid on her on one occasion :evil: I combed them out with a nit comb.

We once used Rear Guard but it sent Jims in to statis as he kept licking himself, no matter how much we treid to stop hims o we were advised not to apply it again, as he is an indoor bun he is low risk anyway so we just check his bum twice a day by feeling all around and underneath and clean his potty out twice a day.

I am dreading this - Bart will not for the life of him let me put him on his back even though the vets have showed me how to do it plenty of times he will kick out violently so I let him go before he does anything to damage him.

Does anybody have like a video on how to do this successfully? Or have tips?

He is on a high percentage hay diet, which produces lovely golden poops and no uneaten soft poops... what do you think about his risk?

Personally in otherwise healthy buns I think that the sprays etc can do more harm than good - they lull you into a false sense of security and are essentially putting chemicals on your bun.

Rearguard only works on the areas it has been applied, and you don't apply it directly to the animal's genitals or to any areas of broken/damaged skin, which are the most likely areas to get flystrike. If your bun needs to have those areas bathed, it will wash off anyway.

In healthy buns I don't think there's any substitute for scrupulous daily cleaning of litter trays, good hygiene, healthy diet and clean and dry bunnies. I appreciate it may be different for those with ill health but for most buns I think it's a dangerous assumption that they will be 'safe' because they've been sprayed/washed in a fly-killing chemical.

Back