• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foster Bun...opinions/advice please...

mich8

Alpha Buck
I have a foster bun who came to me 4 moths ago. She had been found wandering near a vets. She needed treatment for a very sore tail and was very underweight.
My vets treated her for tail and put her on Panacur. She seemed to pick up a bit. Thought she would put on weight, but she is still losing it. She is quite boney. Have been back to vets, she has almost finished a 28 day course of panacur now. The vets now want to do bloods.
so here is the problem i have..... The vet bill wont be covered by the "people" i am fostering for......as it will be a lot of ongoing treatment for this poor little bun.
So i am thinking of adopting her myself so she can have the best chance, but she is not neutered and is not well enough to be. All my other rabbits are in pairs or trios... so is it fair to keep her on her own ( i feel guilty that she is alone). She has loads of time out in the garden and on the patio where she can see all the other rabbits.

Any advice or opinions would be very welcome........

Are we to assume the 'people' who you are fostering for is not a rescue?
What do they suggest? Did you sign a foster agreement, most rescues (mine included) will cover the vets bills.

Any chance of going to PDSA? not sure if your on benefits or not to receive their care.

There is no agreement.... but have spoken to the "people concerned and they are not keen to agree to ongoing vet bils (that will be expensive).
The money is not too much of a problem as we pay monthly to the vets for all animals here..... so we dont have to worry about finding sudden vet bills etc.....and yes, i am very lucky that our vets are good.
i am more concerned with how happy she will be having to be on her own and not bonded.......She is so loving as well...always wants attention etc.....

I think it is great that you have been fostering a bunny that came in as a stray. And I think it is lovely that you want to and are able to give her all the care she needs.

From what you have written, it seems that her health needs are the primary concern at the moment and it doesnt seem too clear what this is just yet?

It sounds like you have her as a housebunny in which case she is likely to get more attention than she might if she was an outdoor bunny. Although it is not ideal, it is fine in my opinion if she has plenty of interaction from you.

At present we have two rabbits that are single because they didnt bond, and we havent yet been able to look at alternative solutions, although we hope to. We try to give them both lots of attention, and a recent rabbit-savvy visitor commented on how content and happy they seem. Starbuck our deaf bunny is likely to always be on his own so we just make sure that we give him lots of fuss, which he loves.

thank you Helgalush..

This bun is not the first sick one that i have taken on and even without bloods being done i think i know what we are dealing with.....

I just want her time to be a happy one... but then i watch my other rabbits together and i worry so much that she will be unhappy on her own....

i guess sometimes things cant be perfect... even if we want them to be....

I think it is more important that she gets the treatment she needs than has a friend, I would take her on as your own, with a view to getting her better then possibly bonding her. It isn't like she is going to have a bunny friend if she goes back to the rescue is it?

thank you Helgalush..

This bun is not the first sick one that i have taken on and even without bloods being done i think i know what we are dealing with.....

I just want her time to be a happy one... but then i watch my other rabbits together and i worry so much that she will be unhappy on her own....

i guess sometimes things cant be perfect... even if we want them to be....

I am so sorry that she is poorly. I hope too that you can give her some happy times.

I think, personally, she will be ok with lots of interaction with you.

Back