• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am so annoyed!

mum to Amos

Young Bun
I am a member of a non rabbit related forum and a person was asking questions about house rabbits, they had just got one and didnt know how to look after it :roll:

they posted a picture and it was in a ridiculously small cage. I asked if they were going to get a bigger cage for it and they said no that they were going to keep it in that cage when they were out and it was going to be out when they were in the house. I tried to say that it still wasnt big enough but i got totally abused by other people on the forum! it was one of those really small cages from p@h :(

its such a shame. I was just trying to help and I got totally shot down

Unfortunately, too many people still think it's acceptable to have substandard living conditions for their rabbits :(

All you can do is keep pushing forward the message of adequate housing and hope that people will start listening.

At least you said the right thing, and your conscience is clear. I know the feeling well, as I have tried sensitively for months with a woman I know to get the message across....explaining the RSPCA min. sizes, exaplning the reasons they are having aggression problems with their rabbit etc etc The reply 'It's only a rabbit!' and eyes rolling ! What angers me is that her children are being brought up with the same attitudes and think this is acceptable to be cruel to a bright animal.

another case of people going awwww look at the cute bunnies in the huge field lets get ourselves one so we can house in a tiny cage :censored:

The problem with giving advice is that a lot of people will only listen to it or take it if it suits them. It's so frustrating.

My friends all know I keep rabbits - a girl from work sent me loads of Facebook messages asking for advice about bunnies and what they need to live in/eat/about vet bills etc. I spent a long time telling her everything I knew and sending her links to the RWA website to confirm what I'd said. I told her it would be best to get two from a rescue to keep each other company and explained the importance of neutering, vaccinating and giving a proper diet. She was after house rabbits so I told her they'd need a whole room to themselves as she works 9 hours a day and can't shut them in a cage for more than a few hours at a time....

...she went to a pet shop, bought two unneutered males and they are living in a P@H guinea pig cage eating cheap muesli and bread. Now, the same girl keeps asking me for advice, I give her some and she ignores it again. She asked why I think there is blood spattered up her wallpaper and why the rabbits look unhappy the other day. I cracked and told her it was because she was cruel keeping them in that way - especially as she knew it was wrong - and told her not to speak to me about them again. I feel like battering my head against a wall (or hers!).

I have tried my best. Some people just will not listen to advice unless it works in their favour. :(

I feel like battering my head against a wall (or hers!).

I have tried my best. Some people just will not listen to advice unless it works in their favour.

So true !

Thats the problem unfortunately. You did the right thing and gave the good advice. Upto the person what they do with it :?

Back