• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Severely matted bunny!

Zara

Mama Doe
Please help, I'm extremely worried O_O one of my rabbits, Batbunny, isn't actually very fussed about cleanliness like most rabbits are and requires regular cleaning on his fluffy backside. The problem is a couple of weeks ago I ended up bedridden with a bad case of flu for two weeks, so I asked the bf, who I live with, to keep keep Batbunny clean and groomed for me since I was too ill to look after the bunnies.

He didn't :roll:

Batbunny ended up severely matted around his back legs, tail and bum. It was so bad I took him to the vets hoping they'd be able to safely trim it off, but he said it should come out easily with grooming, so I payed for the useless consultation and left grumbling, and tried grooming him with a long haired cat comb, which only helped a little. I even tried using rabbit shampoo to break down the matted poo, but no help! And I'm too scared to trim his fur off incase I catch his skin. I feel terrible, as if I've neglected him, but I really was too ill to even get out of bed :cry: me and the bf keep grooming him with the cat comb and it helps a little, but not enough. It seems to be getting worse, despite the fact he's living inside temporarily for now until we get the garden fixed up.

Can anyone offer advice on the best way to fix him up? any rabbit-friendly products that can break down the poo? I'm runig out of ideas and since my vet refuses to help I'm at a loss :(

not much help.. but i get my mum to cut out any matts out usually from fuzzy.

If the matting isnt too bad then i gently brush them out, but if its very tangly then we just cut them out :?

make sure you arent hurting him when brushing.. imagen having a big knot in your own hair and brushing it out :shock: ouch!

Goodluck :wave:

:wave:Wow, your vet was a lot of help:roll: I would try cutting as much as you feel comfortable with and then soaking his little bottom in warm water for a few minutes and try to work the poo out by massaging the area. It's gross, but effective. You might have to do it a couple of times if it is really bad. If I misread and it is actually hair only matting, then do not get it wet, they will only get worse and your only option is patience, scissors and a comb. Have fun:lol:

Cheers ^^ I know I've not been hurting him during grooming as he actually really enjoys it :lol: he tooth-purs and licks my hand as if grooming me in return, and he lets me know when he's uncomfortable by pulling at my clothes. Or giving me very tiny nip. There's no way I'm letting him sleep outside like this though, he's a flystrike magnet.

i used to use the bird claw clipper with better success, as they are small and less like to nip the skin, i used to clip into the main lump not try and find the base of fur, it sometimes teased better that way

agree on the trying not to get it wet though tiz a nightmare,

Hmm, luckily for me he's started his spring malting so I'm able to gently pull some of the matted fur gently out. going to get the bf to help me give him a small trim with some nail scissors too, although I'm still trying to figure out how to clean his tail :shock:

I'm going to have to retrain him to use the litterbox, both rabbits stopped using it for a while when we moved in with the bf two months ago but enough, which I anticipated, but now to get them back to neat and tidy bunnies, they've settled in well now afterall (they love chasing my bf's terrified cats around :lol:)

i've just invested in hairdressing scissors because matthew isn't as careful as he used to be about his underneath. i can't blame him, to be honest, as he is one fluffy bunny for somebun with a short coat. so i carefully snip out any grubby bits or matted fur. he's a mini lop so i put him on my arm like a baby -kind of sitting up with his leggies sticking out. i cut his nails in this position and he keeps still but looks at me with a puzzled expression.

I don't really have anything further to add but is it just the grooming he is having issues with (normally, don't mean in this case) or is it a bit of a poo issue?

The reason I'm asking is that 1 of mine used to have a dirty and matted back end which we worked out to be caused by her dry food. After changing brands and giving minimal pellets she's fine :wave:

Back