• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo query

Grace65

Warren Veteran
Hi all,
I`m needing some advice about gracie as shes not eating her soft poos,
i keep leaving them in her cage and she wont touch them so they dry up and i end up throwing them away.
I had a word with the vet about it on friday when she went for her vhd vaccination and she said not to worry shes probably eating some of them and i dont see it!
So other that force feed her which i cant do obviously, what do i do?
Thanks all! xxx

Excess caecotrophs usually occur if the Bun is fed too much protein/carbohydrates (Pellets) and not enough fibre (hay). A Bun fed alot of Pellets just wont bother eating hay. The diet needs to be 80-90% hay.

What is your Rabbit's diet atm ?

I have had this problem for the past two years with gizmo :oops:

I changed his diet to allen & page [gradually of course] but untill recently i kept giving him to many pellets [he looked so sad so i would give a few when his bowl was empty] :shock:

But i have toughened up to is soppy eyes and now he has LOADS of hay and ready grass and just a few pellets in the evening [ as well as a small amount of veg/ fruit] He is much better now. But one thing i do know is he can't eat Excel rabbit pellets at all. They go right through him.

Good luck and hope your bun stops over producing her ceatrophs [no idea how to spell it]

hehehe awww bless gizmo,
Well shes gaining weight very well and seems to be eating half hay and pellets, i dont really want to change pellets although the beapher arent that easy to get around here, they are expensive and she seems to enjoy them so i wont change.
Im not giving her fresh food as yet i think shes far too young, im currently giving her pancur paste for 9 days to worm her and shes now fully vacinated until sept when shes having another myxi jab.
Everything is going great but what to do about these poos, i was on my hands a knees literally a few minutes ago with the poo in my hand trying to get her to eat some! but no shes having none of it :roll:

Funny thing is in the last 10 minutes shes done loads of poos all soft so id say its gotten worse since the panacur. xx

can't advise on the panicur situation will leave that to people with more knowledge. :wave:

But as for the poos.... from personal experience i seemed to be able to work out what time of day Gizmo was doing the majority of his and would leave him in his hutch for that time of day so that he would eat some and what he didn't eat was easy for me to find and clean up.

As for the pellets i know you say your bunny likes these pellets which is fine but you really do need to try and reduce the pellets and increase the hay so it is more like 80% hay 20% pellets, and yes no veg yet she is too young like you said :) Also another trick i used to help gizmo [and again this is personal experience] i give him a teaspoon of porriage oats everyday .... this seems to have helped him loads and he loves them.

Good luck and sending poo eatting vibes your way xxxx:love:

Poo eating vibes LOL that made me laugh, well today ive started giving less pellets am going to see how we get on, i usually fill her bowl up on monday and dont need to refill until say thurs?? is this good or bad?
shes not done ot again today YET, but i wont hold my breath, hows gizmo today, love the name btw. xxxx

Back