• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do house buns get tamer than outdoor buns?

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
All this talk about taking buns to bed, buns looking for cuddles and head rubbs etc.... I'm getting jealous!!

I see my outdoor buns about twice a day. They are very friendly but don't ask for cuddles. Benson is like a bar of soap if you try to lift him. Lola will tolerate being lifted but thumps her feet at me when I put her down! They will sit on my knee to get treats and tolerate the odd stroke. Lola eats my jeans. They dunt my legs with their noses while I'm doing the dishes and they come into the kitchen. But there's no way on this earth they would snuggle up to me and look for strokes etc. What am I doing wrong??? Is it because they are outdoor buns and dont spend every waking hour with me or have I just got two little independent rabbits?? :? Would love to sit and cuddle my rabbits but I think I'll just have to make do with the odd dunt as they go flying past me! :lol:

I personally don't think they get 'tamer' but you can win their trust more or build a stronger bond. However, I have a very nasty, vicious boy inside and have had some of the biggest lovebugs outside. So there is no obvious correlation.

You're not doing anything wrong. Those are just typical rabbit behavior. Generally rabbits are not fans of being lifted (although you get those that are fine with it). Also, pairs are often more absorbed in each other because they are the same species (but again you get those who are not like that).

Really, I think its down to personality.

I find it depends on the bun - out of my outdoor group only Phoenix & Bunty like a cuddle, but out of my indoor bunnies only Boo and Charlie like snuggles, where as the other 2 indoor buns would much rather be off doing their own thing.

Well I love them anyway! Think I'll keep em (joke! don't lynch me!!) Lola does give lovely nuzzles up the face if you get her in the right mood! :love:

The description of 'a bar of soap' made me laugh. That is my lot to a tee. They don't like being picked up.

I think the bond is stronger as you are with them more. I also think it's easier to notice changes that may be due to illness.

No I don't think so, up until recently mine have all lived outdoors but have had different personalities so some liked cuddles and some don't. It depends on the individual bunnies

Outdoor rabbits don't automatically get less attention than indoor buns :) Lots of members on here make the same amount of effort as people with indoor rabbits to spend time with their animals all year round so, I have had strong bonds with all mine and have always managed to notice immediately when they are unwell

Like others have said it really depends on the bun, although I've found that if you have a particularly troubleful bun (i.e rescued rabbits who have a reason to distrust people) bringing them inside can help a lot with the human/bunny bond as it forces contact between you. On the other hand, my already-friendly little male decided this was 'too much contact' and now tries to ignore us all the time, I think he's sick of seeing us :lol:

i think you get more from the experience, have the opportunity for a closer bond.

personaly i think that just like in human relationships you get out what you put into it so there are many people out there who spend much of thair time with thair buns at the bottom of the garden and would disagree with you however im sure that out there are house buns who while they live in closer proximity to thair owners are largly ingored and seldom interacted with again would disagree
plus there are some rabbits (just like some humans) who are a little more solitary or quiet. how do you define friendly? its not the same as cuddly.

Last edited:
my two are the first rabbits i've had indoors - all my previous bunnies have been outside - due to my dad taking an interest, they've all had big hutches and runs but as i knew very little about rabbits (pre internet) other than what i'd found out by experience or from simple books, i wasn't any way as closely bonded with them as i am with m + t.

even in the house, i found a difference in how much time i spent with them when they had a room to themselves - they loved it, felt like rulers of the universe, but i saw them only for an hour or so a day and i missed them. they are back in the living room now, with a few less square feet floor space (they have almost all the dining area, no table in the way!) but much more interaction.

these two are definitely more used to being handled than the others, which is good. and they have a wider range of experiences than they would as outdoor buns - for example, my previous bunnies never had the opportunity to listen to good choral singing on the radio, which i promise you m + t enjoy!

also, m + t are like my babies, which is possibly due to my time of life (daughter grown up and married) and whilst they aren't as 'tame' (obliging?)as some people's rabbits, they know i have control of the treats and accord me some interest on the strength of that alone. :wave:

Mine are about as soft as they come. I haven't had outdoor buns since I was ver yyoung (although they were my mums really) but I would be lost without my two little monsters :love:
They spend most of their time in 'their' spots (Marnie sits at the top of the stairs and Blue in front of the radiator) but quiet often want snuggles and cuddles on the sofa.
I guess it just depends on the bun themselves more than anything :wave:

i think you get more from the experience, have the opportunity for a closer bond.

personaly i think that just like in human relationships you get out what you put into it so there are many people out there who spend much of thair time with thair buns at the bottom of the garden and would disagree with you however im sure that out there are house buns who while they live in closer proximity to thair owners are largly ingored and seldom interacted with again would disagree
plus there are some rabbits (just like some humans) who are a little more solitary or quiet. how do you define friendly? its not the same as cuddly.

By friendly, I mean - curious, not afraid, run up to me to say hello, not nasty in any way - never bite, just happy friendly wee bunnies who don't like to be cuddled.

Well I had decided before I got rabbits that they would be indoors until the weather warmed up and then they would move outside...... but now we're not so sure.... :oops:

I would make *every* effort possible to spend time with my buns if they were outside but I know they wouldn't get quite as much contact with me if they were outside. For example; this morning they were binkying around me for an hour whilst I was getting ready for work. I wouldn't be able to have them out before work free-ranging outside as I couldn't watch them at the same time as having a shower and getting dressed..... :p

Like now; it's dark - and they're going to binky about for an hour - I couldn't do that if they were outside. I'm not sure yet but they'll probably end up being indoor buns with free range outside whenever possible! :oops: ;)

I definitely think that our bond with Jack is so strong because we spent so much time with him indoors. Over winter; it just wouldn't have been physically possible to have given him the same amount of time and attention.

Not saying there's anything wrong with having buns' outside - ours may go outdoors yet - but I can see the advantage of having them inside now I've experienced it for myself. :D x

Well I had decided before I got rabbits that they would be indoors until the weather warmed up and then they would move outside...... but now we're not so sure.... :oops:

I would make *every* effort possible to spend time with my buns if they were outside but I know they wouldn't get quite as much contact with me if they were outside. For example; this morning they were binkying around me for an hour whilst I was getting ready for work. I wouldn't be able to have them out before work free-ranging outside as I couldn't watch them at the same time as having a shower and getting dressed..... :p

Like now; it's dark - and they're going to binky about for an hour - I couldn't do that if they were outside. I'm not sure yet but they'll probably end up being indoor buns with free range outside whenever possible! :oops: ;)

I definitely think that our bond with Jack is so strong because we spent so much time with him indoors. Over winter; it just wouldn't have been physically possible to have given him the same amount of time and attention.

Not saying there's anything wrong with having buns' outside - ours may go outdoors yet - but I can see the advantage of having them inside now I've experienced it for myself. :D x

I know! I would love to bring mine inside and I might once the conservatory is built but I really don't think they will like it. They can never wait to get outdoors when I bring them in for a wee play. I usually end up sitting on the back step watching them in the cold as they binky around the bunny yard!! :roll: I give them about 20 min before I go to work and then about an hour in the evening in winter, although they can have more now the nights are brighter. But I'm sitting here now bunnyless!! They're happy - love their condo and getting a shed attatchment this week but I WANT MY BUNNIES!!!! They are tame and friendly but I just wonder would they be little cuddly buns, looking for affection if they spend more time with me? I think the general consensus is that buns all have different personalities - some are cuddly and some arent. Mine just seem to be little free spirits who, will entertain me by letting me stroke them when they feel like it, or when I have food!! :lol:

Back