• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any advice? Includes gunky pictures

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I have just done Leela's usual evening eye bathing and this time it seems like half of her face has come away. It literally just fell away in one big lump as I started :?

It looks incredibly sore but am not sure what if anything I can put on the skin with it being so close to her eye. I feel like I should do something, but wonder if I would be better off just regularly bathing with cooled boiled water :?

She is on chloramphenicol eye drops

This is what it looks like now I've cleaned it up, although she can't be feeling too bad as she binkied off when I had finished bathing it

P4040703.jpg

And this is the inside of what came away :?

P4040706.jpg

Ouch! Poor girl. It looks clean though Liz. Maybe cooled boiled water would be best for now. Sending nose rubs for the pretty girl xXx

Ouch! Poor girl. It looks clean though Liz. Maybe cooled boiled water would be best for now. Sending nose rubs for the pretty girl xXx

Thanks, water probably is the best thing. But do you know what I mean when I say I feel like I should be doing more for her? It doesn't feel like water is enough and that I should be doing more to make her comfortable :(

Mind you she is happily munching hay so it is probably bothering me more than her :roll::)

oooouch ... :(

dont realy know .. think i would check with vet before i put anything on ... i would say it needs to dry up ..

could it be some sort of fungal infection because of the eye weeping and causing the skin and fur to be continualy wet :?

Ouch poor girl :(

I think I'd put something on it to stop tears from burning it more. I'm not sure what though, maybe vaseline?

OMG that looks so sore, like an open wound, on a human i guess you would put a dressing on it but don't think you could for a bun? I would just be keeping it clean I think, sending vibes for her xxx

:shock: I wouldn't put anything on that either Liz, personally I would clean it with cooled boiled water and then dab dry aswell I think I would be inclined aswell if possible when applying her drops to hold some kitchen roll underneath the eye to prevent any solution running down onto the face, I think she needs to see the vet, that could be a slight allergic reaction possibly? It looks incredibly sore poor girl, although these things can look worse than they feel I would definately keep it clean and as dry as possible but, let the air at it aswell. Is she indoors or outdoors?

Ouch poor girl :(

I think I'd put something on it to stop tears from burning it more. I'm not sure what though, maybe vaseline?

I thought about vaseline, but was worried that it needed to breathe because of the circular damp area between her eye and nose :?

I guess a fungal infection is a possibility, her eye has been runny all her life as the eye is the wrong shape for the socket, plus she has chroinc respiratory infections and lung damage :(

ETA she is an indoors bun, shes never been able to live outside because of all her health problems

Hettie one of our permanents used to get this now and then..she has twisted tear ducts which cannot be flushed..she is also a dental bun and would suffer with eye infections now and again:(
I have found over time..she has been with me over 3 years..that actually not bathing it so often is better for her..keeping making the area wet seemed to aggravate it..although sometimes her eyes look as if she is neglected, as the fur will get matted and look awful..her eye area does not get so sore
So we live with her looking like a tatty bun with me sorting her eyes out every 2-3 weeks rather than daily:D
When they did get like your bunny's eye I would put a small amount of Sudocrem on but not right up to eyelid..as this not only acts as a guard and fights infection but also has a small amount of anesthetic in it
Hope it soon heals up a bit

Last edited:
vaseline would shield it from the drops and soothe it but i would worry about sealing in any infection there might be ..:?:?

perhaps put it on just before you put eye drops in then gently dab it away afterwards :?

It's so hard to know what to do for the best :?

I hardly ever bathe bun's eyes because their fur seems to hold in water underneath and is impossible to get properly dry, leading to skin infections. I use a barrier like vaseline instead...doesn't look pretty but stops the skin getting sore.

Hettie one of our permanents used to get this now and then..she has twisted tear ducts which cannot be flushed..she is also a dental bun and would suffer with eye infections now and again:(
I have found over time..she has been with me over 3 years..that actually not bathing it so often is better for her..keeping making the area wet seemed to aggravate it..although sometimes her eyes look as if she is neglected, as the fur will get matted and look awful..her eye area does not get so sore
So we live with her looking like a tatty bun with me sorting her eyes out every 2-3 weeks rather than daily:D
When they did get like your bunny's eye I would put a small amount of Sudocrem on but not right up to eyelid..as this not only acts as a guard and fights infection but also has a small amount of anesthetic in it
Hope it soon heals up a bit

Totally agree :thumb:

I didn't see your post before I did mine Jill...but I've basically tried to say the same thing :oops:

Thanks Jill and Amy. I also agree. I do Leela's eye, one week on and one week off. This was day 2 of the week I do clean it. Sometimes little bits come away, but never this much :?

I was wondering about a small amount of sudocrem too

It probably looks worse than it is, I will keep a careful eye on it the next few days and if it gets worse take her back to the vets yet again

Generally i'd keep it dry but not put anything on it. most creams just make the skin sweat and seal in any bacteria on the skin. Gel-style creams that absorb quickly would be best if you used anything - salvon healing gel might work, but i'd still go for clean and dry. Most eye drops arent caustic so shouldnt make it any more sore, but i'd just dab them off if they run down her face.
She's ker-ute btw! :love::love::love:

Thanks Vikki :wave: Thats sort of what I thought but just felt that doing so little was letting her down some how.

Amy, my vet aren't open until Tuesday which is why I posted on here, otherwise I would have called them first. She is happy and munching so it doesn't seem to be bothering her at all :)

Ohhh...that made my eyes water.
If it doesn't seem to be bothering her then I guess that's a good sign. I would go with clean and dry too.....although I have no experiance or anything really.
Hope she feels better soon :love:

my bunny was like that, i think i eas given fucithalmic from the vet to use on his sore skin. i find it amazing how corrosive tear drops can be on a bunnys skin. i was told best thing to do was to get a companion for him to keep his eye clean.

Oh that looks so sore bless her. I think the best thing is to let it breathe as much as possible whilst it drys out. But incase there is any infection the only thing that comes to mind is maybe a gentle dusting of antisceptic powder to stop anything else sticking to it and aggravating it further.

Back