• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boo is thin - help :(

happybunny22000

Warren Veteran
Ive just finally kicked all the bunnies out of the house and into the garden
theyve spent from 10 till now free ranging, eating all my plants :)cry:)
took me an hour but theyre finally in theyre new enclosure.

Boo is the shyest out of the lot, sometimes I cant even stroke him, although in the group he is now getting a bit better

He is the shyest and is the last to eat as whiskey goes first and the two feisty girlies. Ive just stroked him, and he is so so thin!

He has been eating though - he was first in shed eating all the pellets! Then got out and was the last to go back in! :roll::lol:

How can i fatten him up, without the other three?

If you think he is eating normally the first thing I would do is bring him to the vets for a health check, weight loss can be a sign of illness. I would be quite worried if he has lost weight very quickly

If it is that he isn't getting enough pellets I would just feed him away from the others, I hand feed my two their pellets sometimes thats a good way of knowing they are getting the same amount

i dont think he is eating enough
when he first came to me he wouldnt eat or drink because he hadnt been fed hay just musely and his teeth were bad. His teeth seem fine and he does eat. But the others eat the lion share. and he runs off for fear of being jumped on :(

what else is fattening other than pellets?

Oh sorry I wasn't sure from your first post

Porridge oats mixed up with warm water is something I gave Beau to get his weight up when he came here, and also a couple of sunflower seeds each day. Feeding him away from the others might help

I would still get a health check though if it was me

If he has lost weight then the first thing should be a vet check. The vet will advise you on how to help him gain weight once they have ruled out any health problems.

Id panacur them all :? At least then your ruled out worms... id also hand feed them their pellets, so you know how much theyre all getting, even if its just for a week or so :) xXx

I'd definately get him Vet checked.
It sounds as though he is finding being in a group stressful.
In the shorterm you need to feed him seperately from the others to make sure he is able to eat enough. Whilst it may look like he is eating he may actually be doing so very slowly in comparisson to the others (possibly due to Dental problems again).

Personally I'd get him to the Vet on Tuesday

I keep thinking mine are on the skinny side, so I am worming them firstly to rule this out. They do have a vet visit next week so am going to make my vet aware of it.

I've battled for the past 10 months now trying to keep Noisettes weight up... her diet has drastically changed since she came with me! I guess its a little more difficult for you when you need to moniter your girls and make sure theyre not getting fat.

little pellets has been changed to unlimited mix... soaked oats daily... barley rings daily... fruit daily (inc one banana)... added probiotics... biccies too! They go mad for hobnobs. I'm not concerned if Oscar eats just as much though, because my buns are both extremley active and have a big garden to burn off their energy.

i know how worrying thin buns can make us bunny mums feel, now i worry about rosie, she barely eats a thing these days :cry:
she's due at vets tuesday also

Back