• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sharing A Run / Vet Question

Michelleox

Mama Doe
May i ask for your advice on two questions I have please.

Things haven't worked out with my boyfriend so me and the buns (and all their equipment!) off to my parents. My buns have a 6x6x3 run which will be set up in the garden. My first question is; is it ok to let other buns use their run in regards to smells and things? I've read on here about buns smelling other rabbits and upsetting bonds.

My second question is about my vets. Do i change vets? My vets who have been very good so far will be a 20 min car journey. My mum's vets which is about a 4 min journey are also good. Just wondered if i should stay with my current vet as i'm happy with them, even if it means a long car ride for injections.My current vets have got Amber through dental and a spay with no probs. But in an emergency it would be better to go to the closer one i suppose:? This will be for the summer when i can move them back to the place where my current vet is.

Not sure what to do :?

1, yeh, it should be fine. It can 'wind bunnies up' but often they just get excited. In a run that size there is enough room for them to get away from each other. Generally the referred aggression happens when rabbits are closer. It wouldn't be too different from when you have stroked one pair and put your hands in with the other pair and vice versa. How do they react to that?

2, I don't think 20 mins is a long time. I travel 30 mins to get to my vets (although in two different emergencies I did manage to cut that down to 20 mins :lol:). However, you have to do what you think is right for your bunnies with regards to the journeys and the care that they receive at the respective vets. what does your gut instinct tell you about it?

Sorry it hasn't worked out.

Not sure about the run situation. I usually have some bunnies one side and others the other side on the grass.

Why not register with both vets like me. I am registered with a vet in my town for emergencies and then go to another vets 20 minutes away who I really trust with my animals.

I am so sorry things haven't worked out for you :(

With the run, it really does depend on the bunnies. Most of ours are fine to take turns, but we have a few pairs that will fight if they are put in a run another bunny has used.

Would it be possible to take one of your bunnies up to the closer vet just for a check up so that you can see what they are like. that way you can make a decision as to whether the extra journey is worth it, as like you say in an emergency a closer vet can make all the difference :?

Back