• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A question about PAH adoption

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone know if anything happens when someone adopts a pet and signs legal document yet gives it away weeks later - not handed back to store?

Most of them dont come from actual rescues. Its people who hand them in etc.

I dont know what the forms say but im sure they say for the animals to be handed back to them if they dont keep them. Not sure of the legalities of things however :?

I don't see how they can enforce that though? Do they ring up and check on the bun a week or so after they've gone to a new home like some of the rescues do?

As there is no follow up, I can't see that anything happens. More than once we have taken in rabbits from P@H adoption centres round the country, but we were never the ones who "adopted" them from the store. Someone sees the bunny, askes if we can take it and then adopts it before it travels to us :)

As there is no follow up, I can't see that anything happens. More than once we have taken in rabbits from P@H adoption centres round the country, but we were never the ones who "adopted" them from the store. Someone sees the bunny, askes if we can take it and then adopts it before it travels to us :)

this true another case of so called failed paper work

To be honest, I don't think P@H would really care. They don't seem to bothered where the shop bunnies go to so I can't see it being different for the adoptions.

My personal opinion is that the paperwork is just another way of making the buyer think they're 'rescuing' a rabbit rather than buying it from a pet shop. :?

I have had 4 rescue bunnies now and 1 was from p@h adoption. I have never been checked up on from ANY of them.

To be honest, I don't think P@H would really care. They don't seem to bothered where the shop bunnies go to so I can't see it being different for the adoptions.

My personal opinion is that the paperwork is just another way of making the buyer think they're 'rescuing' a rabbit rather than buying it from a pet shop. :?

see this goes back to that thread somone put up on the regulations and welfare, good example that paperwork is being done just not followed up its all bout money not welfare

I think with the adoptions though its only a donation not a set fee? The paperwork is probably just a legality yes. Some of the animals are definately rescues but yes a lot of them come from store too.

I think with the adoptions though its only a donation not a set fee? The paperwork is probably just a legality yes. Some of the animals are definately rescues but yes a lot of them come from store too.

Hmmm, see, I'm not so sure I agree with P@H calling it an 'adoption centre' and refering to the bunnies as 'rescues'.

I'm really not trying to start an argument here, this is just my opinion... Feel free to tell me I'm a wally! :lol:

I don't think I would personally call the rabbits in the P@H adoption centre 'rescues'. To me, they are obviously unfortunate buns who's owners have given them up. The animals deserve a good home like all animals do BUT these animals are not rescued from neglect and suffering - they are donated to the store - and they are not rehomed after having appropriate vetinary treatment and they are not rehomed once a homecheck has taken place to make sure they're going somewhere good. Pretty much anyone can go in and 'rescue' a rabbit.

They are sold in exactly the same way as the store rabbits, often unneutered and unvaccinated. The only difference is this bit of paper you sign which then gets forgotten about because it's not valid anyway.

Personally, I think P@H are aware they have a bad reputation among people that are in the know about animal welfare and this adoption scheme is a way of saying to the general public 'We're not so bad'. Essentially, it's to get people back through the door again.

I think P@H adoptions make a mockery of all the good work actual rescues and shelters do.

Again, appologies if anyone finds my opinion offensive. :oops:

No rescues paperwork is actually legally binding as regards animals being returned to them unfortunately. I suppose our paperwork only really works on the forum as people who for one reason or another can no longer look after them would automatically ask the rescue for help.
I am taking in a P@H adoption rabbit this week as a rescue there is no way I would let it go back to the store:?

I see were your coming from georgie,

I was once told by a member of staff was that the adoption centre was started because of the influx of dumped animals in thier carparks, I can understand stupis people thinking " well it sells animals, it can sell my unwanted one"

My local rescue which mainly holds cats and dogs are so full they are turning them away thing is the owners are just leaving the animals in the car park instead

It a catch 22, P@H are not a rescue, I asked all sorts of questions they just took my word as gospel, no checks or anything, there is a min donation fee which is 5 pounds, may vary from store to store, but the money is ment to go to thier charity, the form to me is just a recipt of purchase

To be honest i dont really want to get into a debate about the ethics of pets at home as there have been enough of these threads :lol:

All i wanted to know was if someone takes on an animal from them and then gives that animal away is there anything they could do!

When i said "rescues" some of them are rescues as if they are partnered with the store or similar pets at home will put them in their adoption centre on the rescues behalf. A service we were offered ourselves but declined for obvious reasons.

And yep the money goes to the Pets At Home Charity which helps rescues etc out

Actually they will not out a rescue's animals in the store..the animals they "rehome" are ones given in to the store or unsold stock
the way they work with partnered rescues is to put posters up advertising the rescue and some of the animals they have for rehoming
Our local store staff are very good as often try to send people our way :D

The ONLY thing P@H could do is a civil recovery of the bun...... but they wont pay any solicitor thousands for the sake of a bunny the store dont even want.....

So no- its not criminal and they wouldnt waste their civil fees would they ...thats IF they ever found out.

I was promised a follow up when I got Earl and never had one......

Back