• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urine scalding and sores - advice requested

sile

New Kit
hello all:

i am new to this forum, and would appreciate some advice from other members about my rabbit, binky.

binky has been having urination problems for about two and a half weeks or so.

i have taken him to the vet twice in that time.

the first visit, binky was prescribed antibiotics (baytril 25 mg/ml) at 0.8 ml orally every 12 hours, and an anti-inflammatory (meloxicam liquid 1 mg/ml) to be given once daily. i was also told to keep his hindquarters as clean of urine as possible, because of scalding; to make sure he is taking enough water; to avoid calcium-rich foods, such as kale and other cabbage-like veggies.

the second visit was necessary because binky's hindquarters are often soggy with urine; he is pretty lethargic most of the time; and sores were developing on his backside. the vet told me i was doing fine with binky, and to finish the course of antibiotics. she took xrays and an ultrasound (no obvious stones, but lots of sludge, which she apparently expelled manually). i'm to contact her wednesday this coming week to give her an update on his condition.

now, the urine scalding has taken a toll: reddened skin on belly, back legs, rump; balding in parts, and clumping/tangles in others; at least two sores. binky is constantly trying to wash himself clean; other times, he just hunkers down; he's very lethargic, although his appetite doesn't seem too bad. i'm keeping up the washing with fresh, only slightly warm water, because i'm afraid to irritate his skin any further.

i was hoping someone could give me some advice on anything else i could do for my rabbit: to decrease discomfort; to treat his sores and raw skin; to get him to drink more water; etc. any advice would be so appreciated.

thanks in advance :)

Water consumpsion can be increased by wetting veggies before feeding them.
Not sure really, please do more research before doing this but maybe a gentle wash with camomile may sooth his skin?:?

Poor Bun :cry:

He will need to be bedded on Vetbed or towels which will need changing several times a day.

A barrier cream could be applied to the very sore skin- eg Sudocrem or Metanium Cream (used for babies with Nappy Rash). This should be applied after the skin has been bathed and dried.

Is your Rabbit actually incontinent ?

Is he losing weight and do his hind legs seem weak ?

It may be that the sludgey bladder is a secondary condition.

He will need to be bedded on Vetbed or towels which will need changing several times a day.

A barrier cream could be applied to the very sore skin- eg Sudocrem or Metanium Cream (used for babies with Nappy Rash). This should be applied after the skin has been bathed and dried.

i will definitely look into the cream idea...thank you for that.

Is your Rabbit actually incontinent ?

Is he losing weight and do his hind legs seem weak ?

It may be that the sludgey bladder is a secondary condition.

i don't know if binky is incontinent, but his bottom is constantly soaked with urine.

he's gone from 7.6 lbs to 7 lbs (the vet didn't seem to be alarmed by his weightloss, which i hope is a good sign).

the vet said if there is no marked improvement by the middle of next week, that it might be necessary to put him on some other kind of treatment (involving sulphur?) for a possible kidney infection.

btw, his back legs seem strong; i just took him for a hop along the corridor.

thanks again

Water consumpsion can be increased by wetting veggies before feeding them.
Not sure really, please do more research before doing this but maybe a gentle wash with camomile may sooth his skin?:?

i'll look into the camomile idea....ty :)

did your vet give you fuciderm to use on his sore skin, i also have a bun with sludgy bladder problems, fuciderm takes the soreness from his skin within hours,it works like magic, although it shouldnt be used long term as it thins the skin.

Also if the vet shaves the fur from his rear end this will make it easier to clean
him. Has his wet bottom improved since he had his bladder emptied? My bunny had an infection because he couldnt empty his bladder properly and is on septrin anibiotics. Did your vet test his urine for blood?

To get him to drink more water, offer it in a bowl with a dash of boiling in to make it room temperature - mine prefer it like this.

I hope his problem improves, you already have some good advice from other members.

ETA - is he sitting in urine in his toilet? What is in his toilet.
I use a cat litter tray, line with newspaper, then some megazorb and then hay on top. The megazorb helps to absorb any wetness and smells.

Back