• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Show rabbits?

ash&crystal

Alpha Buck
I was wondering if you have a rabbit and you want to put it in show does it have to be trained if so does it have to be done from a young age my bunnny is 10 months (how old do they have to be to go in to shows) so are there any pecific things they have to do or learn? thanks:D

:wave: to enter "proper" shows, a bunny has to be registered with the British Rabbit Council (BRC) as a 'pedigree'. In England this is done by a light aluminium ring around one of the bun's rear legs - does your bunny have this? You should be able to see and feel it easily on her leg if she does.

Otherwise, many shows have pet classes, but to be perfectly honest I think most people here would agree that while it might be nice for you to show off your beloved bunny, your bun wouldn't appreciate it. Rabbits are animals which like to feel secure in their own normal permanent 'territory', they can get very stressed out whenever their environment is changed - different sounds, smells, travel, being handled by strangers, small cage for the day etc. Your bun won't understand what is going on and will most likely be very frightened - and apart from the fact that this in itself isn't a good thing, it can also lead to health problems because if a rabbit won't eat because it is stressed, it can quickly become life-threatening.

Of course lots of people take their rabbits to shows without these problems but to be honest, for a beloved pet, it's not a risk that I'd take and your bunny will be much happier if you bond with her at home.

Hope that helps :)

To show a rabbit in a proper British Rabbit Council (BRC) show were they are judge against the breed standered the rabbit has to have a metal ring round its leg that was put on when young by its breeder. They are also usually trained by their breeder to stand in the breeds pose while they are young.

To show a rabbit in the pet section of a show they dont have to have the ring and I dont think they have to stand in a certain position. Just be good examples of a healthy happy pet.

In specific shows, say all dutch theres are other classes you can enter them in apart from pet classes but very few, but there are classes were only rung rabbits can enter.

I really don't like rabbit shows. Tiny cages, no where to hide, heat, loads of people, often rough handling, unnecessary travel, etc. etc. Please think very carefully before subjecting your bun to this. :)

Only certain rabbit breeds have to be trained, and they only need to be if they are BRC rung. Rabbits should also be used to being groomed and turned over.

Have you ever been to a show? I went to one once and left almost in tears :cry: I really don't think the rabbits were enjoying themselves. I'll never be at another one and my little Mr and Mrs will DEFINATELY not be setting foot at a rabbit show. I love them too much to put them through that. :)

I really don't like rabbit shows. Tiny cages, no where to hide, heat, loads of people, often rough handling, unnecessary travel, etc. etc. Please think very carefully before subjecting your bun to this. :)

I completely agree, I think shows are cruel, it's not fair on the poor buns :(

:wave: to enter "proper" shows, a bunny has to be registered with the British Rabbit Council (BRC) as a 'pedigree'. In England this is done by a light aluminium ring around one of the bun's rear legs - does your bunny have this? You should be able to see and feel it easily on her leg if she does.

Otherwise, many shows have pet classes, but to be perfectly honest I think most people here would agree that while it might be nice for you to show off your beloved bunny, your bun wouldn't appreciate it. Rabbits are animals which like to feel secure in their own normal permanent 'territory', they can get very stressed out whenever their environment is changed - different sounds, smells, travel, being handled by strangers, small cage for the day etc. Your bun won't understand what is going on and will most likely be very frightened - and apart from the fact that this in itself isn't a good thing, it can also lead to health problems because if a rabbit won't eat because it is stressed, it can quickly become life-threatening.

Of course lots of people take their rabbits to shows without these problems but to be honest, for a beloved pet, it's not a risk that I'd take and your bunny will be much happier if you bond with her at home.

Hope that helps :)

my crystal has a ring round her right hind leg! She's been to two shows, but it was just the county show. results: 2008 pet class: crystal 4th! zoe 6th

2009 pet class: crystal: 3rd Zoe: 1st!!!
i can't find any shows near me, but i have been waiting since last yea, for mrs Dawkins (owner of the Hexham rabbit club) to pick up the phone!

my crystal has a ring round her right hind leg! She's been to two shows, but it was just the county show. results: 2008 pet class: crystal 4th! zoe 6th

2009 pet class: crystal: 3rd Zoe: 1st!!!
i can't find any shows near me, but i have been waiting since last yea, for mrs Dawkins (owner of the Hexham rabbit club) to pick up the phone!

surprised i thought one of yours was a cross breed and tempremental :?

i thought shows were mainly pure breeds ??

oh right i didnt realise they didnt enjoy them i DEFINITLY wont be putting ash in one!:shock:

It depends on the rabbit, some love the attention, but I wouldn't put a bun in a show if it wasn't used to various smells/noises and travelling.

Noone can say rabbits hate them, Blue loved them, some don't some do.
Its like any kind of animal some will and some won't yu can't tarr every with the same brush.
Same as if yuve only ever been to one show say they are all like it :?:lol:

Can I ask how you know your rabbit loved it? It's not a trick question, I'm genuinely curious.

No of course you can't tar them all with the same brush - but you can say that all rabbits are prey animals and generally speaking, prey animals dislike noise, sudden movement, strange smells, handling, being outside of their normal 'safe' territory...I could go on. There is significantly more evidence to suggest that rabbits by their nature won't like it than will, so why subject them to it to find out?

To be honest I personally suspect that most rabbits who "love" it are simply too stressed and afraid to show otherwise, hence giving the impression to onlookers that they are just sitting quietly and relaxing...

Demi how can u type so fast!
You beat me to it almost everytime:lol:

9 years of being addicted to the computer :lol:

Harley, Flash and Rory are perfectly happy at shows. They will eat, drink, poo as normal, and I've even seen Harley binky, yes binky! and the others flop out. Rory will just lick everyone that picks him up.

Please can we not have another show debate, it's easy to just search some past ones

Last edited:
Can I ask how you know your rabbit loved it? It's not a trick question, I'm genuinely curious.

No of course you can't tar them all with the same brush - but you can say that all rabbits are prey animals and generally speaking, prey animals dislike noise, sudden movement, strange smells, handling, being outside of their normal 'safe' territory...I could go on. There is significantly more evidence to suggest that rabbits by their nature won't like it than will, so why subject them to it to find out?

To be honest I personally suspect that most rabbits who "love" it are simply too stressed and afraid to show otherwise, hence giving the impression to onlookers that they are just sitting quietly and relaxing...

Thats a good way of putting it. i remember watching something about an animal expert who was speaking to pet owners and giving them advice. one owner had a rabbit and she used to lay him down on his back and rub his belly. the rabbit would sit very still and the owner presumed that he loved it when in actual fact his was terrified and thats why he stayed so still. I think its very easy to misjudge how a rabbit is feeling as the usual happy signs that you might get from another animal can often meen the opposite thing.

thats a good way of putting it. i remember watching something about an animal expert who was speaking to pet owners and giving them advice. one owner had a rabbit and she used to lay him down on his back and rub his belly. the rabbit would sit very still and the owner presumed that he loved it when in actual fact his was terrified and thats why he stayed so still. I think its very easy to misjudge how a rabbit is feeling as the usual happy signs that you might get from another animal can often meen the opposite thing.

Back