• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chalk like poo/wee

bo***

New Kit
I have a house rabbit who is about 6 and a half. He use to live outside but i bought him in about 6 months ago as he is getting old and i managed to bond him with another rabbit that was to be a house rabbit.
He was fine although he will often wee in various places in the night!

How ever i picked him up last night to find his back end soaked in urine. Because he is old i didnt wan to bath him and shock him so i decided to wash him today. Using water and bunny shampoo i spent 20mins wiping his fur. It looked a lot better but being white and black the white patches look a bit stained.

While cleaning him a chalk like solution came out in bursts from his bottom...where he poos from with 1 or 2 normal looking poos. Is this wee or poo?? And what does chalky liquid mean??

Bit worried because he is so old :cry:

It sounds as though he has bladder sludge/stones caused by a build up of calcium deposits in his bladder.

He needs Veterinary attention as he probably needs antibiotics, anti-inflammatory analgesia and possibly manual bladder expression.

Your Vet will need to establish the cause of the sludge and some dietary modification is likely to be required

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

http://www.rabbit.org/health/urolith.html

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm

Thanks for the reply. He is eating and from reading other things i have been placing his greens in water to help his water intake and i will get him down the vets.
Thanks

Poor jeffery stayed the same, weeing everywhere, when i picked him up he dumped his bladded he became socked under. Been bathing him.

Took him to the vets and they took blood and urine sample which came back clear. They gave me some medicine to help him and cream for sore skin. Took him back today for antibiotics and said i was not happy as he had not eaten or drunk much and seemed to be shaking. They said they would keep him for the weekend.

The vet just called...10pm! good vet... she felt a mass in his tummy x rayed him to find a kidney stone. Given permission for him to be operated on tomorrow....fingers crossed!

Aww bless his little paw paws, that must have been very uncomfortable :( Hope all goes well for him and he's back home feeling better very soon :)

Not good

Well Jeffery had the op last Saturday...they kept him in all weekend. Turned out not to be a bladder stone. Just a chalky mass as the vet put it. Not too pleased really as he was passing it and i know rabbits do not take in calcium but pass it etc. Think he has had an op that was not needed. He is no better still weeing everywhere and all the time. He is loosing weight too. Back to the vet today.

Oh dear so sorry to hear he is no better! :( Dont have any advice for you but I hope somthing comes out of your vet trip today!! x

Back