• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What could it be? U/D

Lessie

Alpha Buck
Hi,

Just spoken to my aunty and one of her new rabbit is already ill. Runny eyes, wobbly, not twitching, and not doing anything.

So she is taking him to the vets thankfully, but I have advised her to provide warmth - i.e fleece or old towel, hay, fresh water.

Is there anything else I need to advise her?

I hope he'll be okay.

Also do you have any ideas what it could be? I've not seen them as she just got them today, but according to her he was fine yesterday when she went over to 'this place' but is now poorly at her house.

I wish she'd listen to me or at least bought me along. But all I care right now is recovery for this little rabbit.

He is 6 weeks old by the way :shock::( Am I right this is too young to be removed by their mum?

Also she got them from her children's friends mum - who I now think breeds rabbits or had an accident litter...:roll::(

I hope he'll be okay, just recieved a picture message of him, poor soul he looks awful.

Last edited:
6 weeks is way too young :cry:

TBH it doesn't sound good re the symptoms :cry:

What treatment has the Vet given ?

That's exactly what I thought. Arghhh I swear I will bloody slap her. I've always said to her I'd be more than happy to help out, give advice, etc. But she never asks for it :evil:

I don't know what the vets have said, am still waiting to hear from her. As far as I know she is going to take him to the vets.

I reckon it's worse than she thinks.

Arrrrghhhh... I don't understand I really don't, My family knows how passionate I am about animals etc yet they still never ask me for advice. Only my friends does.:cry:

P.s Thank you for your quick reply.

U/D

Unbelievable my aunty said all the vets are closed even the emergency service:?. So she won't be able to go until Tuesday.

I said that can't be right even for 'emergency service'. So she's going to drive to Northampton tomorrow and see a vet over there. :?

At the moment she said she's been advised to feed him hourly with syringe food and boiled water mix, and keeping him warm.

So I hope he'll manage til tomorrow and I bleeding hope there will be a vet available tomorrow.

By the way she asked me, "Well how old are they suppose to be away from their mum?"

I don't know the answer, but my inital thought was 8 weeks?
Could anyone please tell me whats the correct age?

Thank-you
Lessie

I have two books about rabbit care, one says a rabbit should be at least 8 weeks before being taken away from its mother and the other suggests 12 weeks as a suitable age.

8 weeks to leave Mum then another 2 weeks b4 rehoming to a new environment

I will be surprised if the Baby is still alive by tomorrow :cry:

8 weeks to leave Mum then another 2 weeks b4 rehoming to a new environment

I will be surprised if the Baby is still alive by tomorrow :cry:

Ops I texted her saying 12 weeks. But that doesn't matter, she still won't believe me or listen to me like she usually do.

Me too Jane, but I just hope she finally realises it isn't 'easy' to look after and keep rabbits and why they are require huge commitments from us.

She sent me a pic message of him, I wonder if I can put it up on here and see what you think. I instantly could tell he is unwell with his eyes, and I'm pretty sure he should appear a lot more alert than he is now.

But then again I've never had a baby/really young rabbits before.

That is so sad. Hoping he makes it through to tomorrow and she gets him the prompt care he needs!

I wish there was some better way of 'policing' how animals are kept and homed. :(

U/D

Unfortunately he died at about 8pm last night :cry:

She said it was awful and happened so quickly. I'm confused what she said about what the 'breeder' suggested it was. So am waiting to hear about that.

However she spoke to the vets and said they think it's to do with his stomach and would have regard him as a weak rabbit which meant he wouldn't have had a good chance of survival :?

She is upset at the fact that he was in pain.

:cry:

Rest in peace little soul

Back