• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can you have more than two rabbits together

Blueslady

Young Bun
Hi i have two lops they live in a shed with a sixfoot run at the side i would like to have more rabbits but is it ok to have more than two rabbits together.

We have a group of 3, a group of 4 and a group of 6! :D

It did take very careful consideration, especially the 6 as it really depends on the personalities of each bunny.

You would need to be careful with bonding on neutral territory. You could approach a rescue to ask about bonding your two with one or a pair currently in rescue :)

I have four living together, but you have to be careful with bonding and making sure everyone is getting enough food and no one is being bullied

Thanks all for your help i was thinking of Fostering a rabbit for 10months so was wondering if it would be ok to will have to think about it now my two lops are really friendly but they have being together for sometime now so not sure if they would except another one living with them

I did have three together, Mischa, Mini and Nutmeg but I felt that Nutmeg was not ENTIRELY bonded with the other two. They got on great, no fighting or anything but when I had an opportunity to get Nutmeg a husbun closer to her own personality and temperament I did.

I'm debating bonding the two pairs I have now but I think that it is not worth it. If Mischa or Mini make a break for it and get near their room Smudge gets fractious with Nutmeg.

I may have read your post wrong, but I don't think you could add one that you're fostering to your existing pair, it would be incredibly cruel to take the foster away from its pals 10 months after they've been bonded :( If you do foster this other one separately you will need to keep it well away from your two, as sometimes bonded pairs can fight when they can smell/see an 'intruder' somewhere near to their territory.

Personally I think that buns are happiest in pairs but that groups can work if they are carefully chosen. My two pairs were bonded into a four for a while but the littlest one has dental problems and is a slow eater so wasn't getting enough food, so I put them back in their pairs and they are much happier. It really depends on the bunnies :)

i have just bought a 12 week old dwarf rabbit (Rodger) and introduced it with a 6 month old guinea pig (Toke) as sandly his guinea pig companion died recently (Slash). i was cautious at first when introducing them to one another but they seem to be getting along like a house on fire, the only little problem at the moment is stoping Toke eating Rodgers food, apart from that they are very happy together :)

i have just bought a 12 week old dwarf rabbit (Rodger) and introduced it with a 6 month old guinea pig (Toke) as sandly his guinea pig companion died recently (Slash). i was cautious at first when introducing them to one another but they seem to be getting along like a house on fire, the only little problem at the moment is stoping Toke eating Rodgers food, apart from that they are very happy together :)

You should never put a rabbit and a guinea pig together!! :? They are 2 totally different animals and the rabbit could do serious harm to your pig!

that is not good advice, guinea pigs and rabbits do not mix. It'd be like putting a chinchilla with a mouse! please don't be tempted to do it again. Don't mix species as they have totally different dietary needs, plus, one illness could be curable for one, but deathly for the other. Hope I don't sound like I'm preaching. But they don't even speak the same language!! :wave::wave::wave::wave:

i have a very big run that i made myself, the door is also usually open in our lounge area so we can keep an eye on them, i do realise that this can happen and we do keep a close watch on them, i have had them together for about 1/2 weeks and there has been no fighting from any of them. Toke is very biggly built and strong for his age but still very friendly. they do get the oppertunity to do there own things throughout the day, so they do get the chance to have there own space and do as they wish

i have not done this without reasearching the possible implications of the situation first, i no that they are different animals are require different needs and all of this have been taken into consideration before doing this.

i can see what you are saying and you make complete sence, If they do start fighting i can arrange for them to be spit up, they get cleaned out very often and pointing this out again, most of the time they are appart!

Last edited:
Back