• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long Journerys with Buns? Advice?

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
If I collect the mummy and babies to go to Eastbourne, the journey will be between 3-4 hours..... I have a 'cabrio' carry case but am wondering what is the best way to make the journey less stressful for them all....?

The cabrio has bowls for food and I will attach a water bottle some how too.... I am not sure how big they are all yet but I what if theyre too big to have in one carry case? Would it be best to have mummy in one and babies in the other?? Or would that be too stressful for them?

What shall I use in the carrier? My lot usually have towels and stuff, but should I use newspaper because they'll need to wee..... some hay to eat?

Any advice welcome, I have never done over an hours journey with a bun, especially not with a mummy and her 6 week old babies :?

i think I would keep them all together, but that is an awful long journey for baby bunnies. But you know me I am not a fan of long bunnyruns

You know those indoor cages? About 3 foot sort of thing. Well when we first went to our new vets I took the three of them (when I had a trio and a single) in one of those. It fitted on the back seat quite snugly so didn't move around. I didn't (because I didn't think of it :oops:) but it would also be possible to put a towel over the top so they feel more secure.

Would that work if you decided to put them together?

You know those indoor cages? About 3 foot sort of thing. Well when we first went to our new vets I took the three of them (when I had a trio and a single) in one of those. It fitted on the back seat quite snugly so didn't move around. I didn't (because I didn't think of it :oops:) but it would also be possible to put a towel over the top so they feel more secure.

Would that work if you decided to put them together?

Thats a good idea about the indoor cage thing :) :thumb: Im sure Alice would have one I could borrow and putting a towel over them would keep the sun off them (if the sun was out)

Thank you so so much!

And Liz, I cant do much else, I am scared they will be sold off at only 6 weeks old if they do not get a rescue place, Alice has no room, I would rather save them and take them on a long trip to give them the best chance then leave them there and regret it forever.... :(

Just out of curiosity - Why are you going all the way down to Eastbourne for baby bunnies?
My dad and about 6 aunts live in Eastbourne and know the area really well so if there is anything I can do to help just pm me (we have too much in common with places! First Barbados, now Eastbourne! :roll: lol)

I don't really have any advice to give but try not to worry too much, I'm sure eveything will be fine. :)

As you know, we travelled 7 hours back with both our buns and luckily they were both fine, very relaxed during and after the journey.

We just made sure they had plenty of hay to munch and made quite a few stops to make sure everything was ok and that they had a drink.

I have a cabrio carrier too but couldn't find a way of fixing a water bottle very well so I just used the dish thing and had a bottle of water to fill it up.

Best of luck for your journey!

I'd keep them together whatever you decide to transport them in. Keep the car cool and quiet. Definately give them loads of hay - will keep them dry if they pee and they can hide in it. Cover with a towel if using a cage but i'd elave the front open for ventilation if using a carrier. Try to reduce the vibrations as that seems to be what upsets most buns - pad outside the carrier with towels or cushions before strapping them in maybe?

All good thoughts here, I def think using an indoor cage would be best considering their size, and lots of hay is no problem, am thinking of lining the bottom with newspaper too to help soak up any pee!

Pie, I am going down to Eastbourne with the rabbits we might be getting from Ledbury pet shop.... hes closing on Wednesday and noone has taken them yet, we would have, but the local rescue here had no space, the rescue down in Eastbourne has offered them a space :love:

Of course, this is all assuming they are still there :?

Thats a good idea about the indoor cage thing :) :thumb: Im sure Alice would have one I could borrow and putting a towel over them would keep the sun off them (if the sun was out)

Glad to help! I'm trying to remember what else I put in the cage. I know we had a bowl of water and a little tray with hay. I don't think I put much on the bottom of the cage apart from a towel, but mine weren't babies and it wasn't going to be that long. I was just concerned about leaving them in carriers in case we got lost!!

(They always get a towel when they go to the vets - they dig at it and it distracts them)

Oh heck Jeanna! hope you've got a new battery :lol:

Our animals have all travelled well (up to 4 hours - stupid traffic! :lol:) but I've never known any of our animals to have a drink on a journey, in fact most of the time they all just flop :love: I travelled Spice in a indoor cage when I first got her, a water bottle just spilt everywhere so I've never bothered since as I ended up with my new bedding being soaked within an hour and no water in the bottle :oops: I tried to offer it every hour or so at a service station instead but they never seem interested, probably more scared, often I don't stop now if its under 2 hours as I think we'd all rather just get out the car :)

personaly id travel as late as possiable less traffic dark less sudden breaking easier going round corner without throwing the poor lil mites everywhere

go with the indoor cage thing much easier for water bottles etc plenty of hay, and a cover so the lights dont bother them so much,
also not to have heating on if anything cool setting, on very low,

good luck :D

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about space or water, they won't move and are very very unlikely to drink whilst in the car. The cat carrier with be safer as they'll be less likely to slip around in there. They'll be better off in a small space all snuggled up together. I've tried using old ferplast cages on the back seat before and the buns just slide around in them. Also, the motion of the car will make the bottle drip and make the floor of the cage wet, I wouldn't bother with the water. Put it in if you stop but I still doubt they'll use it.

Also, I think its not legal to secure cat carriers on the back seats of cars, so surely its the same for rabbits, this will be easier with a cat carrier.

Back