• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lawnmower or Rabbits?

Tom

New Kit
Hi,

Our lawnmower is on its last legs and my wife is trying to persuade me that instead of buying a new one we should get a couple of rescue rabbits! What I want to know is whether this is madness or whether it would work. Don't get me wrong, we like all animals and she has wanted some rabbits for ages but is this an eco-solution to cutting the grass or just a quick way of feeding the local fox population?

We have two lawns about 10 metres x 15 metres each both surrounded by at least 3 foot high walls. We're not particularly precious about the grass being perfectly trimmed but it'd be nice if it was kept reasonably short. Only other plants we care about are fruit bushes and a couple of apple trees. We don't see foxes in the garden but I suspect there are some about as we live on the edge of some woods in a village.

We don't use pesticides or herbicides but we do have a cat (small and scared of most things) and there are numerous neighbouring cats including at least one bruiser.

I don't want them to have to be kept indoors so it would be a case of getting a decent large outdoor hutch with covered run and letting them roam the garden in the daytime if we were around but not supervising. We'd lock them in before dusk.

Any opinions, other stuff we need to consider, pointers to useful info?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi, welcome to RU! :wave: I think getting a couple of rescue buns is a lovely idea! :D There are many out there to choose from, unfortunately. :(

If you ask me the best solution would be to buy a large (at least 5ft double, though 6ft is better!) hutch with attached run, or convert a shed to a rabbit house. Then buy or build a run which is as large as possible, while still being moveable. That way you can have them graze the lawn one section at a time, while keeping them safe. They should only be in there when someone is home to check on them though, as they might just dig out. Of course, when you're out in the garden with them they can free-range.

There are many things to consider though - for a start the buns may do some damage (although they may not - all buns vary!). Digging holes, knawing trees, eating flowers etc. Cost is another major one! Bunnies really aren't cheap, and you could be looking at £2000 a year for their upkeep.

If you ask me though the immense pleasure buns give (search 'binky pics'!) is totally worth it. :D

Last edited:
Mine have a 7x4ft run, and they work as my little lawnmowers along with my guinea pigs! I move the run everyday so they always have fresh munching.

yep they do dig and eat plants they are not suppose to :lol: but i do think they cut the grass loverly as they graze more, it will be patchy though as some bits they may just not eat, also you will need a rake for all the poos while most of the time you can leave them a healthy bun does lots of poos, but you can rake them up and stick the poops in your plant beds

Hiya Tom :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

I think its a lovely idea to get some rescue rabbits! Yes they will mow your lawn for you :lol: Some bunnies dig, others dont.

As others have said, you will need a 6ft hutch, or a 5ft double tier hutch. Its generally cheaper to get a 6x4 shed if you have the room. You could attach a cat flap so the bunnies can come and go as they please :)

What area are you in?? xxx

It depends, a lawn mower requires a lot less attention and is a lot cheaper but it sounds like this is just your wife's way of talking you into a pet she wants :D I definitely wouldn't recommend rabbits if you don't want them as pets in their own right.

Rabbits can't be left alone free range or they are at risk from cats and urban foxes. The best way to turn them into lawn mowers is with a moveable run so they are always secure and you just move them around the garden. They will keep the lawn short that way and fertilize it too :) If you have trouble with digging put mesh over the base too so the grass sticks through but they can't dig out.

Alternately you can set up permanent accommodation and use scissors to cut them grass. Perhaps your wife would do this as she wants bunnies :)

Hello Tom! :wave:

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said! But I do think you will need to have a re-think about letting them free range unsupervised. Cats and foxes are a danger and I should think a lot of bunnies could jump a three foot wall (I know my Brian can! :shock:). And, as Sod's Law goes, the buns are bound to find your trees and flower bushes much tastier than the grass! :lol:

A big movable run would be ideal though. :) :wave:

Holes in lawn not a problem. Jumping walls (and getting into neighbours lovely garden) would be.

Not keen on having a run that needs to be moved around the garden as suggested - two quite separate sizeable lawns.

Becky asked where we are... near Leeds - too cold for outdoor rabbits in Winter I expect!

Thanks for all the replies. Think the conclusion is that it's not a practicle idea. Doesn't mean we won't get some rabbits ... some day ... but I think we definitely need to buy a new lawnmower;-) Either that or borrow some of the goats that the nearby church keeps in its graveyard for same purpose. They don't dig holes - but they do eat anyting and everything!

Back