• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - dirty bum and cleaning

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
I was planning on building a fence around the small strip of grass I have outside the flat for Ellie and Fudge, but after our latest trip to the vet I won't be able to now..

I have been trying to get on top of Fudge's runny poos and dirty bum for ages now. I took his diet upto the vets and she said it's the best diet she has ever seen, it's nearly 100% and they normally aim for 80%. She has given me fibreplex to see if it helps but because of the risk of flystrike she advised not to let him outside..

I'm a little sad for them as I wanted them to go out but I;m not taking the risk of losing him..

What's the best way to clean a dirty bum....

Last edited:
The checkup was on their teeth and they are both OK teeth wise (Yipeee) as this was my main concern after losing Yoshi with dental problems.

I am just changing their pellets over with advice from here to SS pellets from Excell junior pellets.

I have stopped the veg also, I have been trying since I have had him which is about October time (5 months) Ellie has exactly the same food but has never had a dirty bum

Hopefully changing the pellets should make a difference, is he a good hay eater? If not reduce the amount of pellets you are feeding.

Some buns just can't get on with excel :?

He's not too bad with eating the hay, I give them at least 4 different types of hay a day so they can get different tastes

I'm having a similar problem with my Daisy - not a mucky bum, but some sloppy poos and uneaten caecotrophs. I've cut out pellets completely and cut out veg too (since January). She's currently having some fresh strawberry leaves and bramble leaves instead of veg, and is now on a course of zantac to address suspected gut hypomotility (slow gut action), both of which seem to be helping :)

Daisy has had full bloods done, which were all fine, and teeth checks. My next option is a referral to FHB if problems continue after the zantac is finished.

I suggest trying either no pellets or very low pellets to see if that helps, and asking your vet whether zantac may be appropriate.

That is interesting, how does the Zantac work exactly and how long can they have it for?

Homey has perfect golden poops and he also has mushy ones which I can not find the cause of.:roll:

Back