• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 Bonded Buns Fighting!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!

BunnyMoon

New Kit
Hi there. I recently adopted 2 rabbits (mother/daughter) who were bonded from a rescue. Within a few days of them being here they began to fight 2 or 3 times again. It's becomming more and more. I had to separate them tonight because they just wouldn't stop. The rescue said they had no prior trouble with them before. What should I do????? I also have another bonded pair in the house. Would this make a difference? They did come from a recuse where they were around other rabbits all the time (separate cages). Could this be because of the move to a new environment? Someone please help!

:wave: It could be referred aggression which my pair suffer from if they can smell other buns. How much space have they got? Maybe start again as if you are bonding and reduce space in a neutral area - make sure they cant smell or see any other bunnies...
It may just have been the move that has unsettled them - maybe give them a few days saperated then try them again..

Have they been spayed? How old are they?

Hope it works out ok for you x

they are about 1 and a half and 2 years old. Right now they are upstairs where the other rabbits have been before. I have separated them tonight. Both buns have been spayed.

i ahve tried them in different places. A large dog crate. A closet with a baby gate that is about 2x6 and even a large play pen that is 4ft by 5ft

They are fighting! I bonded my other two rabbits and they were chasing, pulling fur, humping....etc. These two have been together for a year and a half, and never fought before at the rescue. They were at the rescue for over a year. They are biting at each other and pulling out large clumps of fur. Its one rabbit more so than the other. Ears are back, lunging at the others body. I just really don't know what to do here.

I'm fairly certain it would be the change in environment and the smell of other rabbits causing it. I've had the same problem with pairs of rabbits indoors.

Is there anywhere indoors totally neuteral? Or can a pair of rabbits be moved outside - I know it's not ideal with the weather still being cold but otherwise i'm not sure how you will get them to stop fighting :?

I could put them in the basement. It's not cold there. We are in the process of fixing it up a little. That area is totally neutral to both pairs. I would rather not keep both pairs downstairs. With the pair that is fighting, should i put them in pens side by side first for a while? I can't afford to spend my day in the basement with them breaking fights 24 hours a day. I can definetly make time to go down there and spends an hour or so a day with them out together. What do you thing would be best? My other pair (who were here first) are totally unaffected by the newer buns.

It may be worth getting your vet to check them out.
A few years ago I had a bonded pair of females that were inseperable. within 24hrs of them being in their new home they were attacking each other, I thought it had something to do with dominence as they had gone to their new home. They ended up coming back to the rescue and I could not belive the difference in them as they were so close . It turned out one had got a tumour behind her eye. I am not saying this is the case but it may be as well that you get them checked out

Putting them side by side in pens can work well, i've done a few bonding that way.. But some rabbits will attempt to fight each other and get really stressed out. I'd try putting them side by side and monitor their reaction, if they are not being aggressive towards each other then leave them like that for awhile but if they are constantly trying to attack each other through the bars then i'd suggest moving them away from each other.

I'm sure by morning more members will come online and be able to give you more advice. Hopefully they should settle down after a few days. I had two pairs of females inside, one pair were totally fine, but the other constantly fought until i moved them outside. Now both pairs are fine again.

thanks for your help. I am really hoping everything works out with these two. Any more ideas you have would be greatly appreciated!

Back