• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you keep your vet receipts?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
One of the receptionists at my vets commented that I must have boxes full of receipts/paperwork. I told her I don't keep them because I don't want to think about the cost. I chuck them away or leave them in a pile in the footwell of the car ( :oops: )

The thought of adding them up or even looking at them together gives me cold sweats :shock:

Does anyone actually keep their receipts?

Yes I stick them in the vaccinations certificate plastic envelope I was given - not for any particular reason, I usually keep switch receipts till i check my statement then bin them but, with these I don't need to refer to the receipt so they just stay there in the wallet. Hadn't really thought about it till now :lol:

Nope I'm the same as you Amy - I'd rather not think about how much we've spent at the vets in the last few years :oops: I'd drive myself silly if I did or give myself a heartattack!! :shock: :?

Thinking of the bill I've got coming next week for 24 myxi's is making me have cold sweats at the moment!!! Our vet did tell me on Wednesday that we're one of their best customers!!! :oops:

Mind you I can't complain - it could be worse if we didn't get such a good discount. Thank god we do!!

Nope I'm the same as you Amy - I'd rather not think about how much we've spent at the vets in the last few years :oops: I'd drive myself silly if I did or give myself a heartattack!! :shock: :?

Thinking of the bill I've got coming next week for 24 myxi's is making me have cold sweats at the moment!!! Our vet did tell me on Wednesday that we're one of their best customers!!! :oops:

Mind you I can't complain - it could be worse if we didn't get such a good discount. Thank god we do!!

24 ! Do they come to you to do those?

I spread vaccs out so it's not one big expense. Mind you our myxi vaccs have gone up again, £16 each (that's with a discount) :(

24 ! Do they come to you to do those?

Yes thank goodness - we'd need a coach to get them all there! :shock: :lol:

Think it gives our vet a chance to come for a cuppa tea & cuddle with them all too ;)

I spread vaccs out so it's not one big expense. Mind you our myxi vaccs have gone up again, £16 each (that's with a discount) :(

It does make it easier for Jane to come to us Amy - as getting them all in either different times or all together is difficult (on top of other vet trips). We just made sure we've got money put aside for them - I suppose I've been building us up to it! :shock:

Thankfully this time they've given us 25% discount off instead of 20% - so it works out that we get 5 effectively free :) Still a big bill though :roll:

Could you not ask for a bigger discount Amy, given the amount of business they get from you? ;)

Last edited:
nooo, because if my parents find out the accumulative cost of Noisette, they would probably kick me out the house! :lol:

Think it gives our vet a chance to come for a cuppa tea & cuddle with them all too ;)

That's good, it's less stressful for the bunsters aswell I suppose. Maybe you could ask them to train you how to do it?

If they do Janak you can always send Oscar & Noisette to me ;) :p

:lol::lol::lol: I will keep you in mind Denise! ;)
Thankfully we only see the vets monthly, and medicines are ordered every fortnight, so it only seems I am spending a little here and there! :?

That's good, it's less stressful for the bunsters aswell I suppose. Maybe you could ask them to train you how to do it?

Yep less stress for bunsters & for me too getting them there! tbh though Vicki I don't feel confident doing them & prefer Jane to come to check every bun over at the same time, which she does :)

:lol::lol::lol: I will keep you in mind Denise! ;)
Thankfully we only see the vets monthly, and medicines are ordered every fortnight, so it only seems I am spending a little here and there! :?

Thanks Janak :thumb: Mind you I'd probably have a fight on my hands from a few other RU members too ;) :lol:

Could you not ask for a bigger discount Amy, given the amount of business they get from you? ;)

They'll only let me have 5% ...and that's only on vaccinations :(

They did used to be really cheap so I didn't expect more of a discount, but their prices have gone up a lot recently

I have a huge box full from the past 10 years. Plus for the past year my vet sends me a summery at the end of every month. But I try not to look at the over all totals, just check through to make sure they haven't charged me wrong during the month, which they sometimes do :roll:

They'll only let me have 5% ...and that's only on vaccinations :(

They did used to be really cheap so I didn't expect more of a discount, but their prices have gone up a lot recently

:( I suppose it's difficult to ask for more if you're happy with your vets as well :?

To be fair to our vets, they were the ones that offered the discount - so I snatched their hands off!

Yes, I keep them. I spent a lot of time last year estimating what they were likely to cost me as for about 12 months they'd averaged at about £100 a month, which was scaring the hell out of me :shock: I haven't added it up in the last 6 months or so but it's definitely less now. I've also noted the last x-rays that Art and Roo had I've been charged for 'second plate' when it was the first, which has saved me £20 each time, so I don't officially get discount but I wonder if that's what's going on.

I've spent a lot of time studying receipts to compare costs of things too, how much things have gone up etc.

It is scary when you add it up - Roo has had a dental (needed a lot of after care as his mouth was really sore) £200 plus 5 admissions for bloat, so including vaccinations he's cost about £700 in less than 2 years :shock:

Nope, I never get any receipts or ask for any. I have a running account with my vet, I just pay as and when and my insurances pay direct to him as well! 9 times out of 10, I haven't got a clue what the treatments cost... And I too would faint if I added up what the vet costs me every year, so I'd rather not know. :lol:

Vera

Back