• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If this helps one rabbit it will be worth it

This will be my only post and my wish is that other rabbit owners can learn from this.
Our bunny has had constipation a few times. It is only this time that we realised what was wrong with him. This time was nearly fatal.
The vet (again) had no idea what was wrong but administered a pain killer. Free from pain bunny ate a little of his favourite tit-bits (pear) but as he was still not passing pellets he continued to slide down, still losing weight. He also lost the use of a foot so couldn't move without falling over. Very distressing to watch.
Hubbie and I showered him with love and nursed him 24/7. Close to dying he chose to live (no doubt realising he was loved) and ate the pear he was offered. Since then he has eaten constantly, put on weight, regained the use of his foot and returned the love we have shown him.
Advice I would offer -
Show your bunny you love him
Keep his spirits up
Offer him his favourite food
Painkilling injection to free him from pain
Plenty of fluids
I emailed JustAdvice or Ask and Expert and they were exceedingly helpful. They advised us that eating sweet meadow hay is vital to keep the gut healthy, probiotic yoghurt, fruit, etc.
We also started giving our bunny All Bran for fibre.

Best of luck with your bunny. They are so worth it.

This will be my only post and my wish is that other rabbit owners can learn from this.
Our bunny has had constipation a few times. It is only this time that we realised what was wrong with him. This time was nearly fatal.
The vet (again) had no idea what was wrong but administered a pain killer. Free from pain bunny ate a little of his favourite tit-bits (pear) but as he was still not passing pellets he continued to slide down, still losing weight. He also lost the use of a foot so couldn't move without falling over. Very distressing to watch.
Hubbie and I showered him with love and nursed him 24/7. Close to dying he chose to live (no doubt realising he was loved) and ate the pear he was offered. Since then he has eaten constantly, put on weight, regained the use of his foot and returned the love we have shown him.
Advice I would offer -
Show your bunny you love him
Keep his spirits up
Offer him his favourite food
Painkilling injection to free him from pain
Plenty of fluids
I emailed JustAdvice or Ask and Expert and they were exceedingly helpful. They advised us that eating sweet meadow hay is vital to keep the gut healthy, probiotic yoghurt, fruit, etc.
We also started giving our bunny All Bran for fibre.

Best of luck with your bunny. They are so worth it.

Thats really good advice :) I'm sure evrybody will learn from this in different ways. Thank you. :wave:

I think what should be highlighted is that if your bun stops eating vet intervention is a MUST!!

So glad your little man got better!!

I'm glad your bunny recovered.
Definitely if bun isnt eating then a trip to a rabbit savvy vet immediatly is needed. Also hay, hay , hay and more hay!

So glad your boy got better. Sounds like he had stasis? I think everyone on here will agree that they're more than worth it :D
xxx

Back