• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental Bunnies

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
hi all, recently found out Bailey has dental problems, her molars have been spurring due to a minor misalignment in her jaw, the front incisors arnt to bad but will still need a clip every so often, shes only just had her first dental so not sure if shes gonna be quick for the spurs to come back or not yet.
ether way everytime they do spur it will cause bailey to go in to stasis as she stops eating from the pain, just wanted to ask everyone who has a Bunn with similar problems, if theyve found anything in particular that works well for there bunns to help the teeth to wear evenly and get them to really use the back molars, like a particular food or hay or chew toy...anything really!
Thanks
x

Try to gauge when your bun will need another dental and try to do the dental before the symptoms show. Obviously if you can use preventative methods e.g. more hay etc to extend any dentals, all the better.

From reading stuff and speaking to the vet the only thing that ive learnt that could encourage the teeth to wear more evenly is more hay and leafy greens.
now baileys fattened up a bit :) i was planning on reducing her peletts to a very small amount a day and instead giving her fresh grass and dandilion leaves from the garden (aswell as lots of hay) guess ill just have to wait and see if it helps :roll: x

Forgot to say, I got some "grow your own" from Hay Experts and this grows quickly to longish grass which will help to keep teeth down and it just re-grows.

Good luck.

Little Lily gets her front teeth burred every 4 weeks.Good food,ie hay and grass help.....
Roland will need his cheek teeth done in a few months....the same grub applies!!!!:wave:

Forgot to say, I got some "grow your own" from Hay Experts and this grows quickly to longish grass which will help to keep teeth down and it just re-grows.

Yep this is good stuff and getting to the right season for it now! In the winter I use scissors on the lawn to get grass to them and now I will grow it in deep troughs and set it about 2" below the surface. I have meshed over the top so that the grass pokes out the top and the buns can graze off it directly but without pulling it out or snipping it back down to nothing. I find that Santa will eat very little hay but will happily chew on grass so after 5 years of battling I now just try and get her to eat grass instead!

well baileys eating more and more hay and grass now ive cut down her pellets, im also giving her 2 types of pellets : science selective and Burgess excell with oragano, the burgess are a diff shape so im hoping this will encourage her to munch abit more, got another stack of timothy hay and loads of chew toys getting deliverd on tuesday aswell, shes a bit offish with grass, she'll nibble at it but not as much as i would like her to :roll: , looking forward to warmer weather when she can go out in the run and graze all day :)
got some apple,willow and hazel sticks today aswell, which shes not showing alot of intrest to at the moment,
Has anyone heard of a procedure that the vet can preform with the teeth where instead of just burring the problem teeth they would re shape the whole mouth full of teeth to encourage natrual re-alingment, i read about it on a website a few days ago but i cant remember which now :?
x

Has anyone heard of a procedure that the vet can preform with the teeth where instead of just burring the problem teeth they would re shape the whole mouth full of teeth to encourage natrual re-alingment, i read about it on a website a few days ago but i cant remember which now :?
x

Yes this is what many vets can/will do if the op is performed under anaesthetic - instead of just filing off the sharp points, they use a high speed dental burr to file the teeth right back down to near the gum, so that it restores the correct alignment. This is what my vet does when she does dentals on Santa :)

Incidentally, I don't think that sticks and branches will be very helpful as it's the 'wrong' type of chewing action - gnawing with the front teeth rather than grinding with the back, so it's not the sort that will help with natural molar teeth wear.

alot of vets my way still do the clipping thing "shudder"

lucky i found one that doesnt

well i was a bit confused when i went to pick bailey up the nurse said to me "we will only have to drill her front teeth down every few months"
yes drill...at the time i didnt think to say umm...drill???
but the next time bailey goes in i will be asking about options such as bringing the teeth right down to the gum, bailey actually let me pull her lip back and look at her front insicors earlier and they look a lil bit uneven and jagged to be honest...not sure if they are supposed to be a total smooth bottom after a dental, but i would of thought so...
ether way shes not really stoped eating since she recoverd from the GA so im happy for now :)

Back