• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Earl is ill now! - U/D He has been admitted (post 19)

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Earl is a dental bun with no front teeth, but has never suffered with molar spurs etc (luckily)

Today he has been sneezing and one of his eyes is red around the duct (but not runny) the fir on the inside of his paws is slightly hard....

I think maybe its happened and the roots of his teeth are growing into the sinuses....... Its happened so suddenly though. Today he has been a bit quiet- eating ok but not moving about much..........

Cant get him to a vets for at least 3 days because of the bank holiday- worried now...

Do you think thats what it is?

Last edited:
If it's tooth root elongation then the condition cannot be cured but it can be mangaged-regular Dentals under GA to burr the crowns down to gum level. This will significantly reduce the rate of root elongation.

If infection occurs (nasal passages/nasolacrimal duct) then abx and anti-inflammatories are needed.

IMO if Earl is sneezing, has a gunky eye and is 'quiet' then he cannot wait for three days to see a Vet. You need to take him to your Vet's out-of-hours service.

It can happen really quickly - I have no experience with rabbits and dental issues but I have had chinchillas with dental problems and they were fine one minute then weepy eyed etc or just not eating the next. :( x

Vibes for poorly Earl xx

It can happen really quickly - I have no experience with rabbits and dental issues but I have had chinchillas with dental problems and they were fine one minute then weepy eyed etc or just not eating the next. :( x

Vibes for poorly Earl xx

Well now he is playing in his dig box and running around, eating pooing etc.....

Will try book him in tomorrow.. problem is I work in a job where because of the EDL demonstrarions tomorrow- im mandated to work the weekend...... all weekend........

I have some anti-biotics in which I was giving twig shall I give some to Earl?

Well now he is playing in his dig box and running around, eating pooing etc.....

Will try book him in tomorrow.. problem is I work in a job where because of the EDL demonstrarions tomorrow- im mandated to work the weekend...... all weekend........

I have some anti-biotics in which I was giving twig shall I give some to Earl?

No!, are you at work now?, if not then get him to a vet now, they must have an emergency service

No!, are you at work now?, if not then get him to a vet now, they must have an emergency service

They do have an emergency service yes, he has picked up now and is eating and running about, I will definately take him tomorrow night (hopefully about 8pm depending how peaceful the demonstrations are) . My emergency vets (the hospital with the xray) are also closed tomorrow for the demonstration and are holding their emergency service elsewhere.

Will keep an eye on him tonight and am up for work at 4am . He is sleeping in my room tonight so if he starts sneezing etc again then I will take him straight in...

Might not be teeth related...could be snuffles?

TBH the lethargy would worry me more than sneezing

Yeah me too, that seems to have gone now and not heard him sneeze for about 2 hours now. His eye is still a little red- the left one near the duct but like I said its not weeping or scabby in any way.

Earl was all ok last night and this morning......

However....Got in from work today and put him a handful of food in his cage and he didnt rush to it which was odd. .... I gave him his fave food (which he never turns down) strawberrys!!!! and he didnt touch them! No sneezing and his eyes were fine- just the same lethargy as before,,,,

So I took him straight to the vets- They looked in his mouth and listened to his tummy and said that he was in stasis......Couldnt explain the sneezing and red eyes but put it down to 'something bacterial' but said his teeth look fine.

So vet gave him a shot of antibiotic, Shot of pain killers and a shot of some sort of gut stimulant.

About 90 mins after this he is eating treats and the odd bit of hay but no SS pellets. He has done a poo which was a caeceotroph (and he hasnt eaten it)

Does gut stimulant usually work that fast? She didnt give me any follow up stimulants mind......

I have my own ideas about this- Earl is going through a REALLY BAD moult. I think personally he has ingested too much fur- and the fur flying around his cage is what has irritated his eyes and made him sneeze.......

Any ideas? I have never had a bun in stasis? Any foods I should avoid or just give anything that he will eat???

have you been given meds and antibiotics to take home?

stasis could stem from the fact hes in pain elsewhere i pushed early app with frosty as she started to hundle close her eyes then shudder, and although she had hardly any teeth probs, id avoid fruit and too many pellets just lot of various hays even fresh grass, nothing hard to chew but things that take a long time to chew if you get my meaning

have you been given meds and antibiotics to take home?

stasis could stem from the fact hes in pain elsewhere i pushed early app with frosty as she started to hundle close her eyes then shudder, and although she had hardly any teeth probs, id avoid fruit and too many pellets just lot of various hays even fresh grass, nothing hard to chew but things that take a long time to chew if you get my meaning

Yeah, one week of anti-biotics and what looks to be a weeks worth of pain killers 3 times daily ........

He is really scoffing hay down now- is the stimulant supposed to be this effective lol?

And quite a few sticky black smelly poos...again? is that supposed to happen?

im sorry to hear hes in statis hun you obviously caught it in time.

if the tooth roots are growing into his sinus's which can cause watery eyes etc. an xray will have to be done its the only way i think for a vet to know if this is whats happening :?

im sorry to hear hes in statis hun you obviously caught it in time.

if the tooth roots are growing into his sinus's which can cause watery eyes etc. an xray will have to be done its the only way i think for a vet to know if this is whats happening :?

I said that to her- she was adamant that wasnt the issue and that he didnt need an xray- but if he didnt improve we would try stuff like that- She said it didnt look like ETR to her

i insisted on an xray for frosty, my vet refused but rang me during her dental and agreed to do one at the same time, i wanted it really to eliminate things and to avoid having to do 2 anithestics (typo)

see you got painkillers 3 times a day i only got once a day im still not sure how one dose lasts 24 hours ??

I think meds can effect there poos, frostys got recovery stuff which she is loves so i dont have to syringe, thank goodness she hates me giving her meds :(

when ever alvin gets stasis he has some right minging poops yuk!, which i guess are best not eaten. i give fibreplex if i have it or avipro mixed with mushed banana for a few days to get the gut bacteria back on track.

i cant reccomend bramble leaves enough if you can find a fresh supply somewhere, not any about here but Judy has been snding me some and they have worked wonders for alvins tummy.

xrays i would worry about another day, getting over stasis would be more important to me right now, make sure the fluids are going in, wither by wet veg, syringed fluids and/or injections under the skin by the vets.

hope he picks up soon, stasis is evil on irts own without the added complications of possible teeth issues :cry::cry:

eta- sorry about spelling... naughty keyboard!!

Well, the gut stimulant seemed to work last night- until this morning.......

He ate a little this morning, when I got back from work- all the food was still in his cage and no fresh poo's

I panicked- gave him his pain killers but only managed a half dose. Tried him with all his fave foods- and new things- and he wouldnt touch a thing.

Tried force feeding but he just dribbled it back out.....

So took him back to vets- they have admitted him....... said he will be on a drip tonight.

I think its hair still. Found clumps of it in the little bit of poo he managed earlier....

So worried about him- my OH has been crying... and to make it worse- as its sunday I have just forked out £200!! JUST to admit him for ONE night- They said X-rays tomorrow will be £150 extra and another £60 for another overnight stay- and this whole time im thinking he would be better off with me- but I cant put him on a drip like he needs!!!

Bless him he is all lonely and poorly- he has taken his cuddly mole for company!

Vibes please... although im not hopeful realy.... I think if he does improve they will send him home and we will be dragging him back to the vets again when the stimulants have worn off...

Back